Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 black media files do not download to PC.

The camera is connected, can see it in explorer, but on Media page in Quik app. I do not see any of recorded files.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 black media files do not download to PC.

Hello, @senjerzy. These troubleshooting steps will be able to help. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the contact.

Provided solution does not work. My GoPro is connected, and in Explorer I can see the camera and the recorded files, but  in Quik the screen with Media files is empty. Restart of Quik does not help. Windows 10 with all updates. Quik version: 2.7.0.945.

Regards

Jerzy

Quik Print Screen 2.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

@senjerzy, please run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed. Use the GoPro USB-C cable that came with the camera. There are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port 

Alternatively, you may use an SD card reader/adapter to connect the microSD card to your computer. 

Highlighted
Tourist

The PC recognize ("sees") GoPro Hero Black 8, and using Explorer I can see all media files recorded in my camera and download them.

But ... the Quik for PC program does not see any media files in my camera, and so I can not download them using this program (and so edit them).

In the meantime I've found on GoPro web, that this Quik soft is compatible up to GoPro Hero 7 series, and so, probably (?), not for Hero 8 series, and it is not developed anymore.

So - Quik for PC is of no use for Hero 8.

My question is: while GoPro does not inform about this at the first page? I used a lot of time to discover this :( .

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @senjerzy

While some functions of cameras may work with QFD, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and MAX cameras.

If you have gone through the steps shared on the link above and it's still the same, you can try this: go to Device Manager> Find GoPro> Select "Disable" then "Enable".

Using a different cable is another option.

Other users confirmed that using USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 works.

If you have a USB-C to Thunderbolt cable, it should also work. 

You may also transfer files using an SD card adapter/reader instead.

Thanks!

Ej