Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Will only charge to 91% and wont boot after charge unless i pull battery

Hey all, JUst got the Hero 8 a few months ago and have a number of issues ever since. Its to the point that im considering moving to a different camera. The most recent is that no matter how long i charge it, it only gets to 91%. The Hero 8 battery is bad enough in that its useful charge lasts very short amount of time, let alone when it only charges to 91%. ANyone have an idea what could be the culprit?

ALso, every time i charge it, after unplugging the charger i can never turn the hero 8 back on without first pulling out the battery, reinserting it and then it will boot up. Many times when charging it, the red light will never go out on the camera itself also even after charging overnight. This happened from the very start and back then i was told by support to buy a different SD card (which i did) but it didnt solve the problem. Im getting frustrated by all of these bugs (if thats what they are). Seems like crazy issues to have on a production device. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Will only charge to 91% and wont boot after charge unless i pull battery

Hi @ericfeuer,

Try this.

Drain the battery completely. 

Charge your camera for at least an hour. 

Turn it on and then turn off your camera's Wi-Fi connection and then voice command. 

If your wake up on voice function is turned on - turn if off. 

Charge it again and then check if you'll have the same issue. 

Your Wi-Fi and Voice Command should be turned off before turning turning off your camera. 

If issue perist please update your camera manually: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

And check your SD card: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Please let us know if that will fix the problem.

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Will only charge to 91% and wont boot after charge unless i pull battery

[ Edited ]

Thx Jay, i will try this stuff. That said I will say that I have never owned any electronic device whether camera, mobile phone, pc, tablet etc where there seem to be so many eccentricities in how you use it and do very basic things like charging it. Things like having to turn off camera features before charging it is beyond an unacceptable idea. That said, im not using voice control or wake anyway. Seems insane and frankly id expect better from an established company. As mentioned i already bought a new sd card when initially i couldnt get the red light to shut off while charging and had to do battery pulls after every charge to get it to turn on. Now that ive done the updates, the new card etc, its off putting that its still happening. Seems frankly like a crappy user experience thus far for me. Not to mention the horrendous battery life when shooting 4k 30fps. 

By the way i am not using voice control at all. 

I appreciate your feedback and will try for sure though. Also I will try using a totally different charger as ive been using a samsung phone rapid charger and now will try my Pixel fast charger for the hell of it. Cant hurt i guess. 

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]
Decided I will run the camera as long as I can to get the battery to 0 to see how long I get. After 35 min of 2.7k 60fps hypersmooth on, the GoPro shut down due to getting too hot. Another example of what's the point of having a camera that can only shoot a half hour before it gets red hot. It was amazingly hot. It was in the GoPro oem clear plastic housing with the skeleton door attached versus the fully closed door. Is this typical that the camera can't shoot extended scenes before totally overheating? Or is this due to using the OEM housing perhaps and it's not made to be used for extended periods? I use it to protect the non removable lens and I like the mount better than the folding ones as they feel flimsy.
Highlighted
Tourist

Testing out of the plastic housing now and still gets equally as hot.
Highlighted
GoPro

Got it. It would be best to contact GoPro customer support @ericfeuer

They can check that for you. 

You can contact them through chat by visiting this website: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

You can also request for a call back using that link.

-Jay