Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Refund / Absolutely appalling customer service

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post but I really don't know what other avenue to take. I am basically typing this here in the hope that somebody can help me. Firstly though, I just want to say that I have never ever dealt with a customer service so atrocious/appalling/abysmal in all of my life than that of GoPro, I didn't think I would ever be saying that.

I ordered a GoPro Hero 8 directly from the GoPro website but was having issues with it so I sent back a for a refund using their own return label via UPS on the 22nd October, it was received at the distribution centre on the 25th October. I got in touch a week after this delivery to query where my refund was, they said it will take up to 14 days, so I’ve waited and this time has now passed, still with no refund. So in total, 3 weeks today have passed since they took receipt of the device with nothing in my bank account. 

Getting in touch with customer services via phone and live chat is just futile, they try and give the impression they are helping and are supporting of your situation but the reality is they couldn’t care less. I get the impression they just want you and your problem to go away, rather than actually dealing with the problem. They supposedly 'escalated' the refund so it was a priority the first week after I contacted them, but I don’t actually think they did anything. I get the impression these people are not actually able to do anything, they just sit there and lie to you until you’re happy enough to end the conversation, then you're back to square one.

I have run out of options now, this company has both my GoPro and £303.99 of my money and no end in sight for this nightmare, I am pulling my hair out as I need my money back now!!! I have absolutely no other point of contact for this company, they make it impossible to escalate problems higher up in management or file complaints. 

Has anyone else been in this position and if so what did you do? I find it appalling how this company can get away with such shocking treatment of its customers.

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Refund / Absolutely appalling customer service

Contact your credit card company and get them to take it up with GoPro.

Tourist

Unfortunately this was bought on a debit card and not a credit card so I don't have the luxury of claiming the money back in this way.

I was perhaps hoping someone on here with links to GoPro would be able to help but judging by the lack of response, this isn't going to happen.

Another day gone by without any refund, this is an embarassment on GoPros behalf. I have never known anything like it.

Adventurer

@epicridge40558    Did you know this?

Did you know that other people went this route as well.

this is not my Post: see below comment   

repor back when you get your refund

The back story:

The Hero7 Black is my 7th GoPro. All the others I had a great experience with. However, the Hero7 was clearly released to soon and GoPro’s customer service is the worst I have ever experienced.

so I contacted the CA Attorney General’s Office and they made Go Pro give me a refund within about 2 weeks. I suggest, if you do not have luck with Go Pro's customer service you do the same. Maybe GoPro will learn to treat their customers better.

Tourist

I’m pretty sure you still have some protection even when paying by Debit Card, not as much as a Credit Card but the banks do have leverage.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago and he went for a face to face meeting with his bank and they reversed the transaction there and then.

Tourist

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I do not know who to approach in this regard as GoPro use a logistics company called ModusLink to fulfil orders for EMEA and they are based in the Netherlands and I am based in the United Kingdom. Even GoPro as a company in the UK seems haphazard with no real representation as a company, almost feel like this is done on purpose as a form of obstruction to stop people like me from escalating complaints beyond their abysmal customer services.

in terms of the law, I don't know where I stand because they fulfil orders from another country which is not within the jurisdiction of my own. I can only imagine this will complicate matters further, perhaps this is their intention.

With regards to my debit card, I can try this route but I do not think I will be successful. I was under the impression that only credit cards have a level of protection where you can issue a chargeback and that you are pretty much on your own with debit cards, this is the case in the UK but I am not sure if this stands elsewhere the world.

I honestly do not understand how a company like this can be allowed to operate legally.

Tourist

I’m in the U.K. too as was the friend who went to his bank about a payments from his Debit Card so you have protection.

Also I believe the Netherlands is part of the E.U., as are we at the moment, so there are common laws there as well.

Tourist

Thanks, I will go to my bank on Monday and give this a try, at this stage I have nothing to lose!