Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 8: RTMP Stream doesn't work

Hi, i've been trying to set up a stream on twitch with mygopro unfortunatly, after hours and hours of different Rtmp, i still haven't managed to make it work. 
It seems like there is an issue everytime i set up the rtmp link /key of the stream and i try to go live, the connection sets up and after 5 seconds the app tells me it failed and i need to reboot my gopro. 

Strangely it works totally fine with Facebook live and in just a matter of seconds i'm live and the stream connection is fine. I've tried different methods like using a proper wifi connection or my phone in hotspot mode, both option do not work 

I'm kinda mad because buying the hero 8 was the main reason for streaming on twitch, if i can't set it up I don't know what to do and i feel scammed that there is no proper Twitch section with the facebook/youtube one in 2020.... 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8: RTMP Stream doesn't work

Hi @oodyxrey

When you did the stream on Facebook, did you also use RTMP?

If not, can you do a test stream using RTMP on Facebook.

Twitch is one of the platforms available for streaming.

See Getting Started With Live Streaming for reference.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

This will not help to solve the issue but I experience exactly the same issue when I try to stream using RTMP to a group on Facebook. I manage to configure the live streaming session and when I go live, the Hero8 loses connection within a second. No matter what I do, I cannot reconnect and I end up having to reset the connections on the camera and on the device and start re-pairing devices from scratch. In short, I am also interested in any solution or suggestion anyone may have.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @snipe26475

Does this only happen when streaming via RTMP?

What phone are you using?

Have you tried using a different phone?

Please make sure that your phone, the app, and the camera are all up to date.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEjhvFTxK8

So I thought I do the persons homework (lol) and see if  Ican get twitch to work for me.

I joined via the desktop,  got no clue to livestream there, joined hte  mobile app I can livestream with the phone.  but see no way to  use the gopro. so I did the next stupidest thing  research a vid Lol

If I follow his instructions

1. I need to visit this site    https://stream.twitch.tv/ingests/  and I need to c/p this to  the gopro livestream in the app

rtmp://live-mia.twitch.tv/app/{stream_key} and my Key and I should be streaming.  right.  lets see.

How to stream to Twitch with GoOro 8 (RTMP) EASY SETTINGS
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

I have tried streaming directly to FB and it works fine. I have not tried To stream to Youtube. As far as I can see, it only occurs when I try to stream using RTMP.

I am using an iPhone XS, latest iOS and latest SW version on Hero8. All that has been che ked, tried and the result does not change.

I have also tried using iPAD Air2 and my wife's iPhone X. All with the latest IOS. There is no change. Hero8 loses the connection and requires a complete reset and re-pairing from start. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

Since the OP is asking about Twitch. that I can not  work correctly, the RTMP is not working.

Youtube no issue   works

Facebook no issue  works.

RTMP I don't use so I got that to work FW 1.00 hero 7 before gopro corrected rtmp for youtime

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi

Thanks for this info. It really helped me out. I have now managed to do live-streaming oveer RTMP although I did not use Twitch. I found out that it is extremely important to make sure that the live streaming url link combined with the security code are absolutely identical to the ones displayed in the streaming platform. Might be something to think about in the live streaming instructions to make sure that the information to users, who are not as well-versed in this area as others, is very clear. Furthermore, if someone would like to use RTMP to do live streaming on Facebook, I suggest to schedule the streaming. When I did that, I finally got it to work.