Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Charging Question

[ New ]
Hi, I am really hoping I can get an answer from someone who owns a Hero 8

I just bought mine and I noticed on the first charge it would not get to 100% battery. It kept turning itself on when charging. I have recently turned off all connections and it seems to do it less but it still likes to boot on while charging. The red charging light keeps flashing but sometimes it will stay solid. It also gets extremely warm while charging. Like it hurts to touch hot. This may be because it is on while charging most of the time but I am not sure. I have it plugged into an outlet so there is enough power getting to it for sure and I am using the cable that came with it. I have tried the factory reset/manual update/all the normal fixes. Is this a normal thing for a gopro hero 8? I might swap it out but I would rather not do that if I do not have to.
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Charging Question

[ New ]

So first question is are you using a recommended SD card in the camera?  (even when not in use , this is one of the main culprits of overheating).

Your camera may get warm charging, however it should not get too hot to touch.

Are you using a GoPro Hero 8 battery?  (battery should have a blue tip).  Also, are you running the latest firmware (1.60).

How are you charging the camera?  Are you attaching it to a PC or are you using a wall charger?  What is the power output of the wall charger if you are using one.

And yes, you camera will get "hot" and possibly overheat if it's turned on with a power supply attached with the battery inside the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

yes I am using the SD card included with the combo from costco

Yeah I tried the two different batteries that came with it both have same scenario

I am using a 5V/2.1A that is plugged into a wall outlet

It isnt too hot to touch but it is hot! It is staying at 88% and not getting past that for over an hour. 

Tourist

[ New ]

The light that shows it is charging keeps blinking without any noticeable pattern. It will stay on for 30 minute sometimes but other times it just blinks and then goes dark. It does this with multiple wall chargers

Nomad

[ New ]

I'd run your camera a couple of times, let the battery completely discharge and then charge it again to see if that calibrates things properly.

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay will do, thank you for your help! After about 15 minutes of recording at 2.7k 120 FPS it gets too hot to pick up. Is that normal?

Nomad

[ New ]

As an action camera, jumping out of an airplane, racing a car around a track, going white water rafting......... these are all things that are going to expose the camera to a huge amount of active air and water cooling and heat wouldn't be an issue.

If however you have the camera sitting on your desk, doing nothing but filming 2.7K @ 120FPS (and possibly plugged into external power), then yes, I would expect the camera to get over hot and possibly shut down to over heating.  This will also be compounded by having things like Hypersmooth, GPS, WiFi etc. turned on.   This may also result in possible damage to your camera, SD card or battery.

I would suggest that you lower your frame rate, turn off hypersmooth, ensure it's not plugged in to an external power supply, maybe point a fan at your camera and let it record until the battery discharges.  Leave your camera for 20 mins or so to cool down and then try charging again.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just did this and it charges perfectly fine until it hits 85% exactly and stops charging. I can try and keep it charging by keeping gopro on but the charging light starts blinking and it stops charging completely again. Any idea why this would be?

I appreciate your help!