Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 8 Black turns off when recording video in cold weather

[ New ]
I’m trying to record skiing videos, but a few seconds after I start recording the camera suddenly stops and turns off. It will not turn back on unless I change batteries or connect the camera to a charger.

This problem does not seem to happen if I take a time lapse, so it’s not about the battery draining. Video recording seems to be the problem.

I’ve used the camera in cold weather before without problem, so I’m not sure what is going wrong this season. It’s rendered the camera useless.
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black turns off when recording video in cold weather

[ New ]

Hello, @leofortis. Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? Before the camera turns off, do you get an error message on the screen? Does it matter which resolution settings are used? Is the camera set to record for a duration? To isolate the issue further, the information on the brand of the SD card used, type, and capacity will be helpful. 

If you haven't yet, see if manually updating the camera firmware and Resetting Camera Settings will help clear the issue. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply, @mariustanya

The camera is updated to the latest firmware. I'm using a Sandisk Extreme 256GB memory card and shooting using the default Activity mode, which is 2.7K at 60 fps.

Today I tried again and observed that the battery suddenly dropped to 3% charge, and then the camera turned off.

I've checked the battery health using the menus on the camera, and it's supposed to be fine.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @leofortis

How was the last update done?

Were you able to try the manual update?

If it's still the same, please reach out to Support to have this checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a similar problem,  My GoPro 8 stops recording and shuts off after 25 seconds in cold weather, even though the battery is fully charged.  I never had this problem with other GoPro's I have owned.  Since I use it for ice climbing, suggesting that I warm it up is not realistic.