Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Black on external power will stop recording although indicating it is recording.

[ New ]

I want to use a GoPro 8 black as a motorcycle "webcam" using external power. I am using a video profile of 1440 @ 60fps. I have a GoPro approved 128gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card which has been checked on PC as being fast enough with all sectors good. Battery has been removed. What happens is that when I press record it proceeds as usual but then seemingly continues to record with blinking red LED and time counter progressing. This will continue until I stop recording even though it is well over the capacity of the card. When I look at the contents there will be enough segments to run around 1hr 40 +- a few minutes, with the last segment having a time stamp of when I hit stop. The 2nd last 5 minute segment will have a time stamp of approx 1:40 after i started recording.

On occasion it has worked correctly and stopped recording at around 4:30 with a full card but this is rare. I've probably tried this 20 times using different external power adaptors (both 1a and 2.1a outputs) and different cables. All cables are high quality Anker, not ebay cheapos.

The same thing was happening with a different Sandisk card so I replaced it with this 128gb card and made sure it was on the GoPro approved list.

Any clues what is going on?

I though maybe overheating but the camera does not feel hot and it does not explain why it has worked (albeit rarely).

Thanks.

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black on external power will stop recording although indicating it is recording.

[ New ]

If anyone is interested - here is my solution.

Do a factory reset and then manually do the firmware update!

It now works perfectly - as it should have done from the start.

I don't know if applying the update manually makes the defference but I saw that suggested for a different problem and so i tried it.

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black on external power will stop recording although indicating it is recording.

[ New ]

Thanks! @grandbluff85111

Feel free to post back if anything comes up.