Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

GoPro Hero 8 Black battery compartment

I've seen a few people having issues with the battery compartment of the GoPro Hero 8 camera.  This is most likely due to the different design of the compartment as opposed to previous models.  Instead of having to apply pressure to the release button and slide the whole battery door cover to open it, you simply pop open a tab in the corner to access the battery.

To help new users, I made a quick simple video to demonstrate how to open the battery compartment.

Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black battery compartment

I'm jealous! I want my HERO8!
Nomad

I want my Hero 8 too, that's my wife's one that doing a stand in....

Did the tradeup deal on a 2nd Hero 8, however GoPro doesn't give the usual UPS tracking order number.  Order status page says "Shipped"  However GoPro email gives you a link to ".letslinc.com" tracking....  which doesn't load on any browser on any pc.  My smartphone opened the link and since Friday it's been saying "order processing".  So long story short, my order may or may not have shipped and my GoPro Hero 8 may or may not be on the way and should arrive sometime soon or not...

Helpful stuff!

Hiker

How do you know if a product is poorly designed?

When you need to watch a video to do basic functions. I found this because I have to use a tool to open my GoPro 7 battery compartment and looked for solutions.

Nomad

It's a balance I find, I mean on one hand, you need a water proof battery compartment.  If you go with the simplest solution, that's a really big watertight door with a big easy to grip handle that rotates left or right.  Unfortunately such a door would be cumbersome and result in increased size for a GoPro.

So a simple latch system is used instead.  However people think it's a press down latch and it's difficult to open because you have to apply more downward pressure to "unlatch" it.  In actual fact all they are doing is applying more pressure on the waterproof seals making it more difficult to open.  They are quick to exclaim "It loosens up after a while..." when all they have done is worn away the waterproof seals and then wonder why their GoPro leaks when put in water.  I ended up releasing a 2nd video regarding opening the door after one of the users who had difficulty was kind enough to put up their own video wondering why it was so hard to open and I have to say, the video was very helpful in understanding the issue.  The 6 & 7 required you to push down on a button to open it, whereas the 8 is a simple pop clip and then you swing the door open.  

For me the latch was a simple intuitive design.  Pop the latch, swing open the door.  It's a huge improvement over the 6 & 7 battery door as this could often jam up due to temperature differences, especially in the cold.  I can easily open the Hero 8 battery door with one hand, however the same can't be said for a GoPro Hero 6 door when exposed to cold temperatures.  

There's lot of video's online that show people how to perform basic functions with their camera (or in life).  It doesn't always mean something is badly made or designed, it just means that some people have a limited grasp of things and these video's prove helpful.

I enjoy my GoPro, I've gotten quick and easy solutions to any issues I've had and I think from a user standpoint, they are getting quicker and easier to use.  Also in this case, I think they really did improve the battery latching system.  Although I do wish they would give us back the option to attach a longer lasting battery like the Hero 4 did.  After all, if you mount a camera on the wing of your plane, wing walking isn't a safe way to change your battery out.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

What you see there is how your DOOR  lock is  kept  with PRESSURE

tear down.jpg

Adventurer

I actually got the answer took me a second to see it Lol

Adventurer

here you may find your issue why We all had troubles  

https://youtu.be/AAnn-ZVz9Yc

No one ever told you that the reason why you have the difficulty of opening is because there aretwo angles that are keeping it together. Kind of tried my best to explain it but only you are looking for the DOOR to do its Job and that its doing its Job