Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Black Hissing noise when recording with external Mic + ext. power source

[ New ]

I use external mic during driving to record exhuast noise. Battery is short so I also use external power source from cigarette plug with the official GoPro 3.5mm Mic Adapter.

Audio recorded with external mic works fine when GoPro is on battery without external power. External mic is connected using the GoPro 3.5mm Mic Adapter.

Audio is BAD when recording with external mic and external power source together using the adapter  (regardless of battery is inserted or not). The audio has tons of noise masking the original audio. The original audio volume is much lower. I guess there is some inteference coming from the external power.

Is this a known issue for all Hero 8 Black or just my Hero 8 is defected? 

On the other hand, my Hero 360 Max doesnt have this audio issue. Audio is good with external mic on external power.

I can share some audio clip if needed.

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black Hissing noise when recording with external Mic + ext. power source

[ New ]

@swiftriver43072, to further isolate the issue, do you get the same results when you use a different power source? You can test charging the camera using a 5V 2A wall plug.