Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Black Compression Glitch badly after update to 1.6

I'm having very bad video compression artifacts/glitches in all my videos, as well as 1 choppy section in my video that appear as RED screen, or what looks like missing data at that part of the video. I can't scrub the video smoothly in Adobe Premiere CC. My previous videos before this firmware update seems to be fine. I can scrub them with no problem at all. Only very occasionally there's a small half frame glitches.

Is there a way to revert back to older firmware? or is there other solution to this?

Thanks!

vlcsnap-2020-05-28-14h41m34s850.jpg
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Black Compression Glitch badly after update to 1.6

GoPro will not allow a downgrade they recommend you upgrade, when you updated you used  the wireless  way.  GoPro also does not allow  Links to downgrades.  Yes its Possible, gopro will say different.  Only firmware you can not get is FW 1.00

Highlighted
Tourist

Any chance you or anyone here can link me to download previous version of the firmware?

Highlighted
Tourist

Well I revert back to firmware 1.50 and go out for another shoot today, and it all went back to normal. The files can import, playback, scrub & no glitches on the footage anymore.

Question now is how do I request and report this to Gopro to fix this problem?

Anyone have any idea? I tried contacting support but no reply.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the feedback, @blablabla555. Does it matter which media player is used to view/access your GoPro media? Is there any particular resolution setting that is affected? 

When you reached out to Support, a case number should have been provided for reference? May we have the case number? This way, we will be able to follow up with Support and share the details with the product team. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @mariustanya It appears in VLC, MPC & Windows media player as well as within Premiere Pro CC. I thought it was odd that it freezes Premiere when I was importing the footage, and I had to import them 3 files at a time. Then I could not play/ scrub the footage, Premiere freezes continuously with the program showing a memory jump to 22GB+. I only use 1 setting for all the videos, so I don't think it's the setting difference that caused it. I'm on 4K 24fps Superview.

As for the case number I don't have one, did not received any email after I fill up everything and clicked "contact us" button. There's 2 options there though, "Chat" & "Call us" which I did not select.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @blablabla555. It would be best to continue working with Support. When you get to the options (chat or callback request), select one to get connected. You may refer the team to this thread for easy reference. 

If you choose to request a callback, you will be given a case number. If you do not receive a call in a few minutes' time, please provide us the case number so we can use it to follow up with Support. Thanks!