Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Audio digitized/garbled, any way to repair it?

In any way  was  the wireless  on, a media module used, if we continue htis convo day by day, the return policy will expire, if not used for a new one, then a warranty will need to be taken into concideration.  It is best to work with a Gopro Team. get the problem resolved We, I  came a cross issues and share the resolutions,   interference. who know.

Promic and media mod existing issues of a gopro camera, rephrain from using quick capture recording.

Wireless connections, rephrain from using  outside power sources  that causes issues to the promic 

two issues since hte Hero 5, time. never resolved.

also do not block the mic side port. that will mute the sound.

Highlighted
Adventurer

As soon as  you opened the door.  the issue came, so my suggestion is  do another take exactly the same.

Highlighted
Nomad

So good news bad news.....

Bad News:  No, there's probably no way to recover the audio associated with this file, the noise you are hearing is most likely a transcoding error when the file was being written.  

Good News:  Since the video was ok, I'm hoping that it was a simple read/write error on the SD card and hopefully a quick fix will stop this from happening again.  However this means jumping through the "GoPro" hoops (as it's usually the fix for a lot of issues and it eliminates a couple of things).

1:  backup any files you have on your SD card.

2:  Do a full format of the card in your PC.

3:  Once formatted, put the card in your camera and format the card in the camera (this sets up the file structure on the card to match that of the camera)

4:  Perform a manual update of the camera firmware.  I made a video on how to do this and hopefully it helps:  

Once these steps are followed you've eliminated the possibility of a faulty or improperly set up SD card causing the issue.  You've also elminated the possiblity of faulty firmware being a factor also. (Plus if you do need to contact GoPro support, the first two things they will suggest you do........ which just saved you time hopefully).

I'm guessing that was just a small clip of the entire video you posted so the loss of audio cannot be good news.  There's only really 2 major solutions to that one.  1:  Retake the video.  2:  Dub the video (harder to do as you need to also do a foley track for any sound effects).

For future video's that you make where retakes or dubbing is not an option, can I make the following suggestions?

Use a 2 camera setup.  Not only will this give you better options for multitrack editing, but it also means you have a 2nd camera recording sound ( and video) should something go wrong with the 1st camera (call it going overboard, but when recording video, I actually use a minimum of a 3 camera setup as this also affords me the use of different angles should I want them).

If two camera's aren't an option, you can also do something as simple as use the sound recorder app on your phone, again, this gives you the option of having backup audio.  For clearer audio, you can put a $10 - $40 mic on your phone also.  (I don't just use camera audio, I tend to use a backup wireless Mic system as this affords me clearer vocals and cuts down on background noise).

Hopefully some of those tips help you.  If you need any further help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask, but try the above steps for preventing the audio loss on your camera and let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Adventurer

with your gopro my suggestion is to turn on in Protunes hte  raw audio track on Medium, and if it happens then get the camera returned.

if not use  a sound recorder. gopro would not want  you to experience things like this or others  as well.

Highlighted
Tourist

Posted a link below. Can you listen and offer any advice?
Highlighted
Nomad

Sorry, looks like you forgot to post the link.  Anyway, please see all the other advice in this thread related to the garbled audio problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Reporting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSfew0Qgxg&feature=youtu.be

Should I be reporting this to Gopro while I still have a warranty?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Nomad

That depends, if it's a repeated occurance, then yes, I would take full advantage of your warranty.

If it was a once off, then............   it's kinda up to you.  Right now with low stocks and delays with Covid, if you try to exchange your camera you could be left without one for quite some time.  Also GoPro may send you a "refurbished" model to replace your camera.  Will it be 100% free of issues?  Bit of a gamble.  It will have been tested sure, but what type of testing and for how long.

It all depends on how badly you need your camera and how long you could wait for a replacement.

So, if it happens a lot with the audio, yes, get a replacement.  If it's only happened once and never again, then I wouldn't bother.