Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 7 white keeps getting SD ERROR and ask to format

My new GoPro Hero 7 white keeps getting SD ERROR and ask to format to clear error. All my recordings are gone everytime. Is it because my type of micro SD card is not suitable? I'm using Strontium NIRTrO 566X, 64GB mirco SD XC I  (1). 

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 7 white keeps getting SD ERROR and ask to format

@noricepls, yes, if you’re experiencing either an ‘SD ERR’ or ‘NO SD’ message on your camera’s LCD screen, this means that your camera can't properly communicate with the SD card. Using a non-recommended SD card can trigger such issue as well.

To consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through official resellers.

You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here

It is also advisable to format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

In addition to the information above, there are some troubleshooting steps in this article that will help: NO SD or SD ERR on Camera's LCD

Hopefully this helps!

Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Ann for replying! Saw this "SanDisk Extreme® 64GB microSDXC" mentioning: "...........recording 4K Video and Full HD video (1080p) and fast read speed up to 90MB/s for quicker data transfer." Do you know if it means it can't support 1440p settings?

GoPro

@noricepls, if the SD card is fast enough to keep up 4K resolution, I'm pretty sure it can handle 1440P.

Tourist

i have the same issue but iam using SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 16GB (SDSQXNE-016G-AN6MA) 

and i tried another new one and the same problem still exists and every time i try to take any picture it asks for formatting and after that the problem starts from the beginning and asks fro formatting again

GoPro

Hi @akyasser

See if a manual update will work.

Please refer to https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-white

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs   

Thanks!

Ej