Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 7 Silver stops recording randomly and corrupting files.

[ New ]

Hi.

I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Silver and I have encountered some rather annoying issues.

1. The camera randomly stops recording on it's own, showing a "Repairing File" screen.

2. The "repaired" files are broken to the point that Windows Media Player can't open them, and GoPro Quik crashes if it tries to load one.

3. The camera seems to like losing track of the date and time, especially after it has one of it's little episodes.

I have tried multiple SD cards, and I even bought a brand new Sandisk EXTREME Plus 128GB card, but the problem persists.

I did format the cards before use in Windows (long format) and on the camera itself, but the problem persists.

I have tried manually installing the most recent fimware update, but it's still happening.

I have factory reset the camera, but it didn't help.

One thing I have found, is that the damaged files will still open in VLC, and Davinci Resolve 16, so I can recover some of the footage (lets be honest, Quik is garbage anyway), though this doesn't make up for the lost footage from when the camera decides to stop recording.

I'm considering returning the camera to Amazon and putting the refund towards a camera from somewhere else as this seems to be a rather common issue with GoPro cameras that GoPro doesn't care to fix, and I'm kind of glad I didn't spend the extra for the Black.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Silver stops recording randomly and corrupting files.

[ New ]

Hi @nuvo1985

If the camera behaves the same using different SD cards and even after the manual update, please reach out to our Support Team.

You may contact them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

As this is a recent purchase, you may also refer to the same store/channel you got the camera from.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Silver stops recording randomly and corrupting files.

[ New ]

Hi @nuvo1985

If the camera behaves the same using different SD cards and even after the manual update, please reach out to our Support Team.

You may contact them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

As this is a recent purchase, you may also refer to the same store/channel you got the camera from.

Thanks!

Ej