Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

[ New ]
Hey everyone,
I was just curious if anyone else had any idea when the Hero 7 was going to be released! I’ve heard in the September/October area but that’s it so far! Does anyone know anything more?
Adventurer

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

[ New ]

Always   a week prior to columbus day on the west coast.

Explorer

[ New ]
GoPro will announce an event pretty soon. It's usually on that (or the following) day that the products are released.
Nomad

[ New ]

My best bet this year is before september 26.

GoPro Inc has a booth at the big Photokina show in Germany and I find it unlikely that they will not showcase their new Hero7 range at this important event.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone!

I just got confirmation from my shop where i wanted to buy the Hero 6 that the Hero 7 will be released in the end of september for sure. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yep  we'll see in a months time.

Hiker

[ New ]
It will be a long month. Hope the 7 will not dissapoint. The store where I bought the 6 did not restock so they couldn't replace the Hero 6 so they got me a refund. Guess they are waiting also for the 7. I hope they have some pre-orders offers and really hope they do not change batteries.
Tourist

[ New ]

I wanted to buy the 6 also but after 2 weeks of waiting they got info that no more 6 and told me that 7 will be in stock by the end of september. Hopefully it won't dissapoint and will be good one.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@andreis40011 wrote:
I hope they have some pre-orders offers and really hope they do not change batteries.

i'm afraid they never have done so far with previous models. The only price offers/discount i've seen over the years is the trade-in scheme, & discounts to clear old stock

Hiker

[ New ]
If I remember correctly, last year the store offered a GoPro Jaws with pre-orders, so I guess it was store specific.
Adventurer

[ New ]

that is a great point stores stocking up so they can prepare for the release date.  so yeah    we'll see...

no update for me if its the same gp1 and start adding back what they can't fix in the first gen.

Backpacker

[ New ]

i just hope they've come out with new features that warrant getting it. I will end up with one eventually, but if it turns out to be a rebadged hero 6 then I'll just wait & carry on using what i've got 

Sightseer

[ New ]
I hope so too! I heard rumors that it may have higher megapixels than the 6, which is why I figured I would wait as well!
Adventurer

[ New ]

if its one or two MP I'll P A S S 

Nomad

[ New ]

We know for sure that GoPro will bring back the WHITE - SILVER - BLACK variants. At the 200 - 300 - 400 USD price point.

Both the WHITE and SILVER seems to be based on the Hero6 hardware core based on the FCC filings.

The Hero7 BLACK will probably be the only significant upgrade form the Hero6 of today. Rumors suggest an upgraded GP chip, maybe designated GP2. GoPro has also filed a lot of new patents lately which might indicate new features to expect. Time will show how much is actually implemented in the Hero7 Black.

USP 9,998,681 - Electronic iris for a camera

USP 10,003,768 - Apparatus and methods for frame interpolation based on spatial considerations

USP 10,007,967 - Temporal and spatial video noise reduction

USP 10,015,369 - Synchronization of cameras using wireless beacons 

USP 10,015,469 - Image blur based on 3D depth information 

USP 10,031,314 - Prism-based focal plane adjustment for thermal compensation in a lens assembly 

USP 10,031,396 - Tunable polymer dispersed liquid crystal lens doublet 

USP 10,033,915 - Camera peripheral device for supplemental audio capture and remote control of camera 

USP 10,033,928 - Apparatus and methods for rolling shutter compensation for multi-camera systems

USP 10,043,536 - Systems and methods for audio based synchronization using energy vectors 

USP 10,044,899 - On-chip image sensor data compression 

USP 10,044,944 - Automatic composition of video with dynamic background and composite frames selected based on foreground object criteria

USP 10,044,972 - Systems and methods for automatically transferring audiovisual content

USP 10,051,206 - Automatic composition of video with dynamic background and composite frames selected based on frame and foreground object criteria 

USP 10,051,363 - Submersible microphone system with a compressible spacer 

Hiker

[ New ]

Guys, go check out the gopro reddit forum. GoPro 7 leaked!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]
That’s interesting do you happen to have the link for that?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi guys,

I agree, do you have a link to share ?

Hiker

[ New ]
Guys, it's not hard to google gopro reddit. I already feel kinda bad sharing this info on the official gopro forum so no link from me here.
Nomad

[ New ]

Seriously, it's not that much which is leaked.

Forst off all based on FCC/bluetooth certifcations both the Hero7 WHITE and SILVER will be based on the Hero6 hardware. As in identical hardware. Probably with firmware adjustments only.

For Hero7 Black nothing of substancehas been leaked, excpet the calim of a more powerfull processor, but apprently someone at Gopro stole a engineering sample of one ofthe units and tried to sell it on Craigslist. It looked identical to the Hero5 and Hero6. So no suprises there.

Hiker

[ New ]

agilestoke40735 you are looking at the wrong leak. Check The Verge and probably every major tech site and you'll see the news. The link on reddit to the photos is already erased so the leak was legit.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yeah, I found the pictures...

This time the BLACK is black...

Hero7_1.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

Hero7 Black features:

Hypersmooth stabilization
Timewarp video
Live streaming
Auto download to phone

Nomad

[ New ]

The lens on the BLACK is larger in diameter than the WHITE and SILVER. Also looks different compared to the Hero6.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-01-at-4.55.01-PM.png
Backpacker

[ New ]

thought something was wrong, the silver & whites have lost the front screen

Nomad

[ New ]

Basically every cost reduction possible has been implemented on these new cameras. Woodman said so at the investor conference call. Thats why the LCD is gone on the cheaper units.

Adventurer

[ New ]

And you should put all up not just hte picture, sucks when you hear news outside of gopro what a shame gopro.com

GoPro’s next camera appears to have leaked via a store display. Imgur user Austin Mittelstadt posted a series of images (via Reddit) that show off the company’s Hero 7 camera, which is expected to be announced later this month.

The camera appears to come in three colors: white, silver, and black. The display also shows off some of the usual features that we’ve seen with prior models, like image stabilization and that it’s waterproof up to a depth of 33 feet. A couple of the models appear to come without a front screen, echoing what we saw with the Hero 4 line, where the silver model came without the screen, while the black version did.

Image: AustinMittelstadt

GoPro has had a rough couple of years. It slashed its camera lineup to three models in the spring of 2016, in an effort to focus its lineup and cut costs, launched a 360-degree camera called Fusion and the Hero 6 camera last year, which bumped up the specs from prior models. It also got out of the drone business this past spring. Those efforts to slim down a bit appear to have succeeded: the company had a profitable quarter last year. Earlier this year, the company released the Hero, a new entry-level camera, and indicated that others would follow later this year.

Update September 1st 2018, 5:07PM ET: the original gallery on Imgur has been removed, and the source link from Reddit has been added.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Love to hear the Rumors about the Mic adaptor  Plays in these models:

White N/a

Silver the promic adapter   will be used

Black Bluetooth  mic   kit soon to come

Nomad

[ New ]

Austin Mittelstadt works at Best Buy. Or did. Poor man.

Nomad

[ New ]

"White N/a

Black Bluetooth  mic   kit soon to come" 

Source for this?

I full expect a wireless mic of some sort, but curious about the leak.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank God I sent back the GoPro Hero 6 in time. The pricing is good and the facebook live feature and the better stabilization are very usefull to me. I think GoPro will have a good year. Still hoping the batteries will remain the same on the black.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Love to hear the Rumors about the Mic adaptor  Plays in these models:

White N/a

Black Bluetooth  mic   kit soon to come

Never said fact.

Explorer

[ New ]
Yes, the question is, "Where did you hear/read the rumors?". Or, are you just creating then yourself?
Nomad

[ New ]

The Hero6 is not longer available at the EMEA section on GoPro.com store... Justs says "comming soon".

While they might just await further stoking, it seems strange. Especially as the Hero7 is comming in a few weeks.

Sold out allready?

soon.png
Backpacker

[ New ]

i've just noticed only the Hero 7 Black has the detachable protective front lens, looks like the White & silvers are one piece

Hiker

[ New ]

Yep. And the white and silver will not have removable batteries it seems. On the bright side the Hero 7 Black will use the same batteries as Hero 5/6.

Tourist

[ New ]

For me the shop where i wanted to buy one said that there will not be any more hero 6es to their stock cause those are not made anymore. Don't know if its true or not but they just said to wait for 7

Hiker

[ New ]

It makes sense from a business perspective! The 7 line will be the way they will move forward. The white and silver ones cut out some features while maintaining some key ones so the previous line of Heroes will still sell until they are out of stock.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi guys,

To resume :

3 gopro (w,s and black)
Expected 26 September
Black will have Bluetooth 2 screens removable battery and maybe mic in and replaceable lens ?

I cant wait neeeeedddd

Nice day
Adventurer

[ New ]

Gopro  got you hooked.

Backpacker

[ New ]

they've done white, silver & black before with the Hero 3's & don't think it really worked then. They soon dropped the lower white spec to just carry on with silver & black

Backpacker

[ New ]

@andreis40011 wrote:

Yep. And the white and silver will not have removable batteries it seems. On the bright side the Hero 7 Black will use the same batteries as Hero 5/6.

not having removable batteries is a big mistake if that's right, i've seen people been put off the fantastic Session because you can't change the battery

Hiker

[ New ]
Well, you have to consider the fact that the market has changed since then and many people who are not interested in action sports buy these cameras now as a main camera for vacation and recording family moments. And the average person won't buy extra batteries or would need to change the lens protector. Yes, it's true that phones are better in some aspects but in terms of convenience the gopro is the better camera. Not to mention the video quality is always better. Only high end phones match it.
Adventurer

[ New ]

As long as they  did not desable the port for the external battery you gots not a thing to worry bout.

Nomad

[ New ]

After seeing the leaked pictures of the 2017 GoPro range I fear the worst. Like Woodman said in the latest conference call they have cheaped down the production cost to both be able to sell units at 200 USD and still make a solid profit. Front LCD is gone on the WHITE and SILVER cameras. They might also feature non removable front protection glass and batteries. I further think it's safe to presume that the features also have been dumped down to make a budget product. In essence I think that a EL CHEAPO 200 USD GoPro will be to restricted to have a widespread appeal. That happened to the Hero3 WHITE.

The Hero7 Black seems like an improvement compared to the Hero6 but since most features are still not known it's a little bit early to say. Will the be actuall picture quality improvements compared to Hero6 or just a series of refines features. GoPro might have been forced to put in cost cutting parts also here to be able to make a profit. After all they wanted the BLACK to sell for 500 USD and not 400 last year.

Hero7 Black features as seen in the leaked kiosk promo video:

Hypersmooth stabilization
Timewarp video (slow motion with frame interpolation)
Live streaming
Auto download to phone

The two last features seems like firmware only upgrade which could have been made on the Hero6 as well. Or Hero5 for that matter.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, if the software restrictions on the white and silver could be bypassed like you can with the Hero 2018 essentially making it a GoPro Hero 5, these new gopro's will sell like hotcakes. Time will tell.

Nomad

[ New ]

As well as Gopro Europe several local retailers here in Scandinavia are empty on the Hero6.

But everybody have the Hero5 and Hero2018 still in stock.

Looks like the supply channel has been depleted quite effectively of the Hero6 before the Hero7 range arrives.

Nomad

[ New ]
I'll probably buy the Hero 7 even though it isn't likely to be a huge upgrade. If it has 4k60fps linear with great stabilisation it's kinda an easy choice for me!
Backpacker

[ New ]

the Hero 6 didn't look much of an improvement over the 5 on paper, but using it you can tell its leagues ahead

Nomad

[ New ]
Agreed. I had the 5 and then the 6, and the 6 is just lightyears ahead. The stabilisation alone was worth the high price tag imo.