Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

This is a post that addresses those who say that GoPro will never be able to compete with the cheap knock offs that seem to be flooding the market.

I have wanted a GoPro for quite a while but was really never able to put it into the budget.  With my 20th Anniversary scuba diving trip to Curacao coming up, my wife and I decided to get something that we could record our vacation and specifically our dives with.  We are never really the ones to spend a ton on anything but I hate buying crap.  We thought that we wouldn't use it much so we decided to buy one of the "nicer" knock offs and got it just a few days before our trip.  The first thing that drove me nuts was that there wasn't a true skeleton frame for it.  You had to use the underwater housing to mount it to anything.  I have to admit the video was pretty good but the latch on the housing cracked after the second dive, the camera went nuts on one of the dives and had to be restarted half way through the dive.  I usually keep the things I buy for quite a while so I made the decision while on the trip to send the camera back and look at the GoPros when I returned.  I couldn't believe how cool it was to have a bunch of videos from every dive we did (I continued to use it even with the latch cracked).  Bottom line:  GoPro doesn't need to compete with the knock offs IMO.  They are appealing to two completely different buyers.  I want to have some confidence that when I buy something, it has the potential to last if taken care of.  I babied that knock off and it still broke.  I am looking forward to stopping by the local BX on the Air Force base and picking a Hero 7 Black up next week (I called and they are in stock already and there is no tax on anything purchased on the base.

One last comment on the knock off I bought.  I purchased the "Waterproof" floating grip from the same brand.  It was filled up with seawater by the 4th dive with no way I can see to get the water out.  I am betting the GoPro won't have that issue.

IMG_1322.jpg
Highlighted
Adventurer

October 2nd will be my shipping according to what was told first in the list not first ordered

So @danielr15 you may get yours faster then I lol
Highlighted
Backpacker

Argos are advertising they will have the Hero 7 for sale on 27th September, guess where i'll be going after work lol

Highlighted
Hiker

Ive never understood this concept of announcing a new product and then only shipping out orders 2 weeks later. Did Apple start this?

Why not just wait 2 weeks to announce, then start shipping orders out right away?

Highlighted
Explorer

@mikea7050
Part of it is determining interest for production and potential sell through of product. Your major chains have made their initial order but need an indication of what the sell through will initially be so they can order back stock now.
Highlighted
Nomad

It's so you can watch all the videos, get pumped, and buy it on release day.
Highlighted
Backpacker

it would make sense as we can go & get one as soon as its been announced, but even this time they only stocked a few selected BestBuy stores & pictures/info got leaked out 2wks before the official launch. I believe some people even managed to purchase one before the launch, so stocking all the normal retails would mean they won't need to bother with a launch, we'll already know everything about it lol

Highlighted
Nomad

Are you guys looking foward to the SuperHyperSmooth almost-again gimbal like stabilization in the Hero8?