Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

@tallguysrc
Beyond just being a rugged and easily mountable camera, utilizing a camera dedicated to capturing videos and time lapse frees people's phones from a few things.

First, video takes space, a lot of space, from storage. Yes, like with my LG v30, some can utilize a mounted SD card in the phone for extra storage. However, many phones, most notably iPhones, do not have this option. Additionally, often when an SD card is used in a phone, it is utilized for more than just media storage. For many people, cameras on phones are great,... For taking pictures. Perhaps a short video from time to time, but primarily, the camera on a phone is for pictures.

Second, battery. Video drains battery pretty rapidly. Sure you can tape your phone to your helmet or use that ridiculous helmet mount that was posted earlier, but after a couple runs, now what? People use their phones for far more than pictures and video. If the battery dies on a camera, sure it's a bummer, but at least your still able to receive calls and text on your phone.

Third, cost. While some may expound on what they feel is a high price for a GoPro cameras, for the video quality, stabilization, Protune, and features you get with these cameras, it's pretty reasonable. More so when you consider the cost of losing or breaking a phone. Far more people can go a few days without a broken camera than they can a broken phone. Considering how rugged, durable, and resilient GoPro cameras are, especially when compared to a phone, GoPro cameras not only can save you in cost down the road they also give you my fourth advantage...

Freedom. I have a pretty good camera on my phone, and sometimes I prefer to use it over my GoPro cameras. That doesn't make my camera phone better, nor does the times I choose GoPro make my phone's camera worse. The biggest difference comes in the freedom I have when I choose GoPro. Whether it be hands free recording when I'm playing with my kids or being able to capture more adventurous moments when I wouldn't want to risk damaging my phone, having a GoPro camera gives me that freedom.

This isn't about which is better, phone camera or GoPro. And adding features like QuikStory, faster WiFi transfer, portrait mode, or even live streaming isn't an attempt by GoPro to say, "ditch the phone". Clearly by integrating features to work with phones embraces the importance of phones and media capturing and sharing. However, for those who do enjoy filming with a GoPro having these new features makes it easier to keep all of your media captured in one device.
Highlighted
Adventurer

I wonder if the Fanboy got tickets t osee the show?  Or giving to the Troll to tag along sounds like are a married couple?

Explorer

Perhaps we can give them to our illiterate "Special" child.
Adventurer

Sure that will perfectly do. now back to the  awaitng release  

Nomad

[ Edited ]

@danielr15 I'll follow this up in January 2019 whee the figures are in. :-)

Adventurer

I think that is not a release of the camera we're after Please do create a topic about porfolio's of gopro we'll the ntalk  about wall street there.

Nomad

Hero7 Black:

4k/60 - standard stabilization and wide view only
4K/30 - hypersmooth stabilization and wide/super view

There is no LINEAR view in either 4K mode. Bummer.

1080/240 - no stabilization
1080/120 - regular stabilization
1080/60 - hypersmooth stabilization

Surely they could have offered LINEAR 4K without stabilization for gimbal/drone use...

Hiker

The link doesn't work unfortunately.