Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

includes 4K/60 stabilization and 4K LINEAR-mode, and not to mention a wireless mic option which has been requested by users for several years now.

I hope the CEO listen to you!

Tourist

I believe they are trying to reach out to a new crowd.  A crowd that is more entry level and arent as tech savy as most of us on these forms, most likely... Hence the newer enterface, the simpler designs, less moving parts, easier ways of uploading to social media without editing.  I believe they are trying to reach a new client groupp, the average facebook and instegram users.  Thats atleast my OPINION.  There wouldnt be as much to be made if they dumped all the money into research, new design, new parts.  If its just software update as speculated I believe that this is there intent on the new products.  They propably have done studies on how many existing gopro users upgrade and its far and few between than the market that they are trying to reach out to.  They want larger NEM, to bring up that profit and what they are doing would be a smart tactic.  Thats only my OPINION though!

Backpacker

i think GoPro are going the wrong way aiming at the lower end of the market, GoPro can't compete with the chinese/ebay budget camera's. They led the field back with the Hero 3, because it was a professional camera & was top of the game. It even did 4k recording back then, only at 15fps but was still 4k

Highlighted
Tourist

First of all, hi to all, new in that forum.

Second, I don not necerarrily agree. I think there is a significant market share that see gopro as premium company and would buy a cheaper gopro over a chinese one (if the prices are within certain ranges) cos they still value the status of gopro over others. Simialr to apple where the iphone se was a huge success. Buyers don't care that much about the specs of it but still have the feeling that they have a premium brand phone (even if the sam price huawei might be better). Same with gopro (at least I think).

So in my opinion it makes sense to have a budget and a premium camera, in the long run one probably cannot exist without the other. Gopro is a major brand and needs sales, with premium alone harder and harder to reach since hero 3-4. Budget alone would kill its status. 

Even within my friends several say the don't care about a hero 6-7 and still buy a session because quote "for my mobile and facebook thats enough".

What I don't get is why they need three models, a premium and budget would have been enough in my opinion

Adventurer

GoPro Hero 4 Said it all.  They kept two Models  Silver and Black  and then offered a Session. If gopro felt the session  failed to deliever great.   SIilverwillwin us over for beginners to whoever and black to anyone that  wants it all.

can't go backwards but forward, learn from your mistakes and move on.

FISH

Backpacker

@nikolausf58167 wrote:

First of all, hi to all, new in that forum.

Hi, welcome to the forum

@nikolausf58167 wrote:

Second, I don not necerarrily agree. I think there is a significant market share that see gopro as premium company and would buy a cheaper gopro over a chinese one (if the prices are within certain ranges) cos they still value the status of gopro over others. Simialr to apple where the iphone se was a huge success. Buyers don't care that much about the specs of it but still have the feeling that they have a premium brand phone (even if the sam price huawei might be better). Same with gopro (at least I think).

So in my opinion it makes sense to have a budget and a premium camera, in the long run one probably cannot exist without the other. Gopro is a major brand and needs sales, with premium alone harder and harder to reach since hero 3-4. Budget alone would kill its status. 

i do get what you mean, but when you compare like for like GoPro are miles away. The budget GoPro is £200, have a look see what you can get for that money from the ebay/chinese manufactures

The best selling GoPro ever was the Hero 5 Black, they didn't bother with a Silver or White edition it was just purely the 1 model. The Hero 2018 was added at a later date, but the 5 was left alone for quite a while

@nikolausf58167 wrote:

Even within my friends several say the don't care about a hero 6-7 and still buy a session because quote "for my mobile and facebook thats enough".

What I don't get is why they need three models, a premium and budget would have been enough in my opinion

the Session is an amazing camera by itself, it can't be really compared to the normal Hero range due to its small size. I think it was stupid of them to drop it

they do seem to like doing the 3 versions, they did the White, Silver & Black before with the Hero 3's

Backpacker

Good Morning Everyone!

Here’s the Official Product Launch webcast: 

https://investor.gopro.com/events-and-presentations/event-details/2018/Product-Launch-Webcast/defaul...

Adventurer

Chris thanks that is by far teh best real news  so far