Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Release Date?

Confirmed by who! and if so please share a list of exact details so the rest of the internet can stop guessing.....
Explorer

I'm not saying they are geared to teenagers, just that this is another market they are opening up with things like Portrait and live streaming. I made a point to say that the cameras are designed for, " young athletic adventurer people. Surfing, Skating, Mountain Biking, Motorcross, Rock Climbing, WingSuit, Parachuting, Scuba, Windsailing, .... ". Most of these activities are dominated by the 20-30 year olds.

As far as 8K, this is ridiculous. There is a reason 8K cameras cost $60,000. It's not the markup that drives this price, it's the cost of the processor, sensor, lens, motherboard, heat sink cooling mechanism, etc... Sure, if GoPro can get true 8K in a sub $500 camera that doesn't melt when you record more than 5 minutes, then yes, people will go ape sht for it. Ambarella announced the H3 SoC, which is capable of 8K/30fps, back in January of 2017 and SocioNext has 8K on their roadmap for this year, so I do think it's coming. Yi may in fact come out with it first, but the reality is, most people still don't know who or what Yi is.

It's easy to live in a bubble where we think the rest of the world shares our thoughts and knowledge. It's also easy to over-inflate issues, problems, needs, or what the market wants.

GoPro is by far a major name in action cameras. In many ways, GoPro IS the name in action cameras. In general, people don't research Action cameras, look at all the competing products, and then decide on GoPro. People become interested in purchasing a GoPro and sometimes stumble upon the competing brands while searching for the GoPro. These people have no idea who Yi or SJCAM are or what they sell.

Sony is a MUCH bigger name than Yi, yet when people think of Sony they don't think action camera. You and I might, but most people have no idea what the sony fdr x3000 is or even that Sony makes an action camera. In fact, imaging products and solutions (including all of the Sony cameras and sensors) makes up less than 8% of Sony's business.

Garmin, who makes a good competitor to the GoPro lineup with their Virb cameras, has barely any market share. Garmin moved action cameras into there Automotive/Mobile segment in 2016. This segment includes all of their automotive products including GPS devices and yet it still only makes up about 24% of their total sales. Garmin cameras are a very small fraction of that 24%.

It's true that name alone doesn't ensure keeping the majority of market share. I remember when if you wanted to make duplicates of a document people would say they needed a "xerox" whether or not they were using a Xerox copier. In part, this has happened to GoPro. I can mount just about any camera to my surfboard and have people ask me if it's a GoPro. They use the term not so much to ask about the brand, but rather if it's a waterproof action camera.

Is the Hero7 bringing enough features to get people to upgrade? Like I said before, probably not. Then again, this was the same thing people were saying about the Hero5 and it turned out to be GoPro's number one selling camera. Turns out it wasn't the resolution/frame rate that sold people, but rather the other features of the camera. When it comes to image, the Hero4 and Hero5 are identical.

More importantly though, GoPro would be foolish to keep innovating for people to upgrade from last years model to the next. As with all things, from cars, TV's, Phones, and cameras, you want to change just enough to spark interest, gain new customers, get upgrades from older models (Hero, Hero2, Hero3, Hero4, Hero5) and leave enough room for improvement for next years model.

I doubt there will be a lot of upgrades from the Hero6. Not because the Hero7 doesn't have 8K, but because the Hero6 is a very good camera. The people who got their feet wet with the Hero (2018) and Hero5 will want to upgrade, as will owners of all the other previous models. With the new lineup GoPro can continue to bring new people in at different levels of need.
Explorer

And BTW, there are plenty of features that the Hero5 and Hero6 are capable of but will never be implemented. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.
Explorer

@tallguysrc
GoPro cameras are used by professionals. They have been used to make full feature films. They are used in professional sports. They are used in TV.

They are not marketed to any of these segments. They are marketed to general consumers, 20-30yr with active lifestyles.
Highlighted
Explorer

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@duanem8- Well, GoPro could have supported live streaming last year. Are you saying that the omitted this just to sell new stuff this year?

@agilestoke40735

Probably.  Are you saying they shouldn't withold features so that they can release them in future models?  You are entitled to whatever feautres where listed on the camera box when you purchased the camera.  Nothing more and nothing less.  GoPro should put just enough features into their cameras to sell and remain competitive, nothing more, nothing less.

Hiker

When it was discovered that the Hero 2018 can be turned into a Hero 5 I could not understand why many were kind of angry instead to be thankfull that you can do this in the first place. This is actually a great thing for us and a good bussiness decision on GoPro's part to get rid of some Hero 5 stock and position themselves on that price category. I read somewhere that launching the Hero 2018 brought a breath of fresh air to GoPro. The Hero 2018 will sell like mad until they are out of stock, and after that, the Hero 5 will sell also until out of stock. And Maybe the Hero 7 white can be hacked to work like Hero 7 silver the the cycle will repeat. Of course there is a risk but there is a potential more bang for your what you actually paid, so I think GoPro is wise in its business strategy. I had chinese cameras like Yi but there was always something fustrating about them.

Hiker

in my dreams..i'm hoping for a less compressed video output with a better noise reduction algoritm...naturally mixed to a brand new BL sensor...this will made me happy ^^

Backpacker

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@duanem8- Well, GoPro could have supported live streaming last year. Are you saying that the omitted this just to sell new stuff this year?

i'm not saying anything, i don't even remember saying anything about features being omitted/deleted but you seem to be trying to put those words into my mouth lol