Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 7 Black missing first audio part with Protune Audio

[ New ]

Hi folks. 

I purchased my GoPro Hero 7 Black in October and have been struggling to get that sweet spot with my audio recordings. 

I have enabled ProTune Audio to save the raw audio as a separate wav file for later processing in post, however every video I record seems to omit the first part of the audio when the video is spliced into 4GB segments. 

E.g 

GH10027.MP4 (Note that GH10027.WAV is missing)
GH10028.MP4

GH10028.WAV

GH10029.MP4

GH10029.WAV

GH10030.MP4

GH10030.WAV

So far, I have reset my camera to factory settings, attempted to update it, however it has been running on the latest version since shortly after I purchased it and no change has been experienced. 
From the threads I have read, users either experience this issue and have no resolution to the problem, or users don't experience it at all. 

What is the best way to overcome this problem? 

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black missing first audio part with Protune Audio

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya 
Thanks for the suggestion to try transfers in another method. I have been mostly using the camera as a hub to transfer the files. 

I have made a few tests below to confirm different configurations. 

1. Filming in different video capture configurations (4k vs 1080p vs wide vs superview) does not change the issue of the first missing audio file. 

2. Different protune audio settings (protune audio settings in low/medium/high vs auto/sterio/wind) does not change the issue with the first missing audio file. 

3. Rebooting the camera to release any file locks prior to transfer does not change the issue of the first missing audio file. 

Resolution: 

What DOES resolve the issue, remove the SD card and read the files directly from the card's file system will show ALL files available. This includes the missing first piece of the protunes audio file. 
I've not been able to identify the root cause. possibly some form of file locking preventing the first wav file from being seen? E.g no file locks would exist when reading directly from the SD card. 

I've attached a screenshot view in OSX showing the difference between using the camera as a hub vs reading the SD card file system. 

View solution in original post

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 5.45.20 pm.png

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @loyalflare07356. Does it matter how the files are accessed? This means whether the files were accessed while the camera was connected to a computer as a Hub or when the SD card is directly inserted into the computer through an adapter. 

Which SD card were you using? The information on the brand, type, and capacity will be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya 
Thanks for the suggestion to try transfers in another method. I have been mostly using the camera as a hub to transfer the files. 

I have made a few tests below to confirm different configurations. 

1. Filming in different video capture configurations (4k vs 1080p vs wide vs superview) does not change the issue of the first missing audio file. 

2. Different protune audio settings (protune audio settings in low/medium/high vs auto/sterio/wind) does not change the issue with the first missing audio file. 

3. Rebooting the camera to release any file locks prior to transfer does not change the issue of the first missing audio file. 

Resolution: 

What DOES resolve the issue, remove the SD card and read the files directly from the card's file system will show ALL files available. This includes the missing first piece of the protunes audio file. 
I've not been able to identify the root cause. possibly some form of file locking preventing the first wav file from being seen? E.g no file locks would exist when reading directly from the SD card. 

I've attached a screenshot view in OSX showing the difference between using the camera as a hub vs reading the SD card file system. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 5.45.20 pm.png