Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 7 Black freezes file explorer

Hi! 

I recently purchased a Gopro Hero 7 Black for my MTB rides and I noticed that, when I connect my GoPro to either my desktop windows PC or my Macbook Pro and open the DCIM folder, everything freezes and I need to force restart file explorer or finder. 

I've tried with two different SD-Cards. Samsung Evo UHS-I U3 as well as the SD-card that GoPro recommends. 

I've googled this and found nothing. Can't use the desktop gopro app either. 

Any ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black freezes file explorer

I'm using Windows 10 and have no problem with transfering files via Quik for desktop from my Hero 7 Black.

Can I suggest that with the GoPro (make sure it's ON) still connected to the PC, open up Device Manager (you can search this via the magnifying glass icon in Windows), and look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers". There should be one under this tree with an exclamation mark and proceed to uninstall or delete it.

You may then scan for hardware changes by right clicking on the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" to reinstall the drivers.

If there is no exclamation mark, you may need to do it manually locate the USB port driver where the GoPro is tied to. You can turn it the GoPro on and off, and the USB will disappear and reappear. Delete the affected driver. Rescan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

This should work. Good Luck!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

My Gopro has the latest update, and it worked once after formatting the SD Card. Now it doesn't work again. As soon as I go into the DCIM folder I have to force quit the file explorer. 

GoPro

Hi @iklasw50183

We are working on a couple of issues for Quik for Desktop.

In the mean time, please import your files by using an SD card adapter.

Do you also notice if the camera freezes when using it on its own?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Hi aragon1006

I'm not using Quick actually. I'm connecting my GoPro with the cable to the computer and opening the folder directly through file explorer. I thought that it could have been some HEVC issues but non-HEVC videos doesn't work either. I did a factory reset and formatted the camera and it helped first, but on the second try the whole file explorer software froze again. 

When using connecting the GoPro to my Mac, I can now transfer files through the Image transfer app at least. But I would love to be able to transfer my files to my windows PC! 

Thanks. 

GoPro

Hi @niklasw50183,

Have you tried transferring it using SD card adapter instead?

Then from file explorer transfer it to your computer.

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

Hi,

I have the exact same issue as @niklasw50183.

I use the latest gopro software and a newly formatted SD-card. In my case, the issue doesn't appear if the SD-card only contains standard jpeg files. As soon as the SD-card contains any RAW, 4K or 2,7K material explorer hangs.

Best regards

Håkan

GoPro

Hello @håkanb85464

Which SD card are you using/ Is it among the recommended cards here? There is a new firmware for the HERO7 Black that was just released. Make sure that the camera is updated to this latest firmware, then try accessing your GoPro media through your Windows computer again. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Sightseer

I just bought a New Hero 7 and updated the Firmware. I am having this issue with windows as I type this.