Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 7 Black does not work with Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB though it is on the compatibility list

Please, I need your help!

I bought a brandnew GoPro Hero 7 Black and since it is on the list of SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras I bought a brandnew Samsung EVO Plus SD Card with 256GB.

When I plug in the SD card to my GoPro, the GoPro shows an error and asks me to format the SD card. But SD card format never ends (I stopped it after 16 hours). I did the GoPro update to version 1.61 twice, first with the mobile app and then again with manual procedure, but the SD card issue persists.

Plugging the SD card into a Windows 10 PC, it is formattable and useable without any issues. I tried to format is with ExtFAT (not with Quickformat) using the Windows 10 PC and when I plug the SD card into the GoPro afterwards, it still shows me the error and wants to format the SD card.

The odd thing is that after stopping the format in the GoPro, there are two files and one folder (DCIM) stored on it.

I called GoPro support and they told me to replace the SD card as it must be defective. They asked me to contact either the dealer or Samsung directly.

I called Samsung Support and they told me Samsung EVO Plus is not compatible with GoPro (!!!), Samsung recommends the Samsung Pro Endurance SD card for GoPro.

So the information from Samsung is exactly the opposite of the information from GoPro as the GoPro website says that the Samsung Pro Endurance SD card is not compatible with my GoPro but the Samsung EVO Plus...

No I'm really confused and have no glue how to proceed. All I want is a working combination of GoPro camera and SD card.

Can anyone help please?

Best Regards,

Martin.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black does not work with Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB though it is on the compatibility

Issue solved. Samsung support confirmed that the SD card is not genuine.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black does not work with Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB though it is on the compatibility

Issue solved. Samsung support confirmed that the SD card is not genuine.

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black does not work with Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB though it is on the compatibili...

Thank you for updating us @martinz44656

We'll also have this shared to the team in charge.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

Como validaste la integridad de la SD, lo genuino me refiero.??

GoPro

Hello @loyalbeach68207. You may get in touch with the manufacturer to verify if SD card is genuine. They would have a way to determine authenticity. 

Sightseer

I have the same problem with my gopro 7 black.  I got it a couple months ago and was using it with a 64 gb san disk ultra and it was working fine.  now I got a new samsung evo plus 256 gb card but after inserting i got the message sd error and tried to format but this format never ends.  How can I check if the card is original samsung?  I need it to send a complain to the seller

thanks in advance for your help

GoPro

Hello @simon18,

To check your SD card's authenticity, you may have to reach out to the manufacturer for further assistance on the next steps. I suggest that, in your case, you can do a web search for Official Samsung Support.

Kind Regards,

Ann