Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 7 Black Settings to Capture Lightning

[ New ]

What are the recommended settings for a GoPro Hero 7 Black to capture lightning? I imagine the settings would be different between shooting in daylight vs night.

For this type of shooting, my camera is mounted on a tripod. I am using the mic adapter and have an external mic and and an external battery (1 amp).

I am also using a CPL filter (I usually have it on to reduce glare).

Thank you for your help!

Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black Settings to Capture Lightning

[ New ]
I failed to mention that I'm interested in video settings. Thanks.
Hiker

[ New ]
Here is some additional information: More accurately, what I am trying to do is capture thunderstorms day or night. The problem that I am having is that though my audio is captured correctly, I have not been able to capture lightning / lightning flashes very well.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Lightening is going to be very hard to capture on video especially a GoPro.  I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it's very hard.  Even filming at 1080P @ 240FPS, the lightening strike is going to be a very quick flash (and at that speed and resolution you're going to have a lot of noise in the video).   You are also going to have to be very close to the lightening to catch any detail due to the nature of the GoPro lens.

Even professional photographers use a different set up (a full frame SLR with a light trigger to snap the shot the moment the lightening occurs).

Honestly, for lightening, you're better off trying to photograph it in burst mode or time lapse mode.  IF you do try video, I would keep the ISO range maxed out at 100 to stop the flash from blowing out the video, use an ND filter instead of a CPL, and film at a minimum of 60FPS.  This is going to have a very dark image but there won't be noise and you'll be able to lighten area's in post.  Due to the different nature of storms, time of day, lighting conditions, there's no one setting fits all solution, you'll have to try different settings to best match the environment, cloud cover etc.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks, that's very helpful feedback. Would the same apply if I were interested in capturing the flash effect of lightning as opposed to trying to capture the form of the lightning strike? The sight and sound (bright flash) of a thunderstorm is really what I'm after, not necessarily bolts of lightning themselves.

Thanks again.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Honestly, I'd recommend a digital recording for the audio then.  The GoPro Mic is going to be best for capturing up close sounds but for something like lightening, I'd use a seperate audio recorder.  The quality will be significantly better and you'll have the option of a live monitor for adjusting microphone sensativity so if the peak volume is exceeded, you don't get mic dropout.

With the "Flash" as opposed to the strike, you can increase the ISO to actually boost the effect of the flash.  However the human eye adjusts a lot quicker and lot better than most automated consumer cameras, so cannot really say how successful capturing the flash will be.