Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 7 Black Noise

[ New ]

Hi.
I am using GoPro 7 Black and I am having problems with timelapse video.
There's a lot of noise in day-night shifts.
How can I destroy this?

Thank you.

bscap0000.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black Noise

[ New ]
Using night lapse instead of Time Lapse Video will allow you to set a lower max ISO and also give the camera the ability to use a longer shutter. Of course, one thing to keep in mind is you are using a camera with a relatively small sensor. You can get good shots, but low light is not this cameras strength.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
Using night lapse instead of Time Lapse Video will allow you to set a lower max ISO and also give the camera the ability to use a longer shutter. Of course, one thing to keep in mind is you are using a camera with a relatively small sensor. You can get good shots, but low light is not this cameras strength.
Tourist

[ New ]

You're right about the sensor.
I'll try it with nightlapse as you say.
I hope it satisfies me.
Thank you.

Explorer

[ New ]
Start off with just taking a few night photos (no point in doing a full night lapse until you know what settings will work for you). Drop the ISO to 100 with an Auto shutter then try with ISO 200 and 400. Repeat the photos, but this time with a fixed shutter 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, etc., until you get to 30 sec.

Other options you can try for reduced noise are (try individually as well as in combinations):
WB: Auto, manually set (probably in the 3500 kelvin range), and Native
Sharpness: Low, Medium, High (most likely Low and Medium will be best)
Color: GoPro & Flat (If you don't mind doing some color grading, Flat usually looks best)
Protune: Needs to be on for the above adjustments, but also try with it OFF.