Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 7 Black Frame Drops

[ New ]

Hello there,

I was planning on making a nice video of my summer road trip through the French Alps but every file I have seems to be super jerky, running smooth when I start the recording, but starting to drop 1 frame every 2 frames after a couple minutes and sometimes even being worse than that, unedited example here 

Here's my config :

- GoPro Hero 7 Black

- 4K / 24fps

- 1/48 shutter speed

- 16 ND filter

- ISO min 100

- ISO max 3200

- Stabilization AUTO

- 256go SanDisk Extreme, tested it and it shows 82MB/s in writing speed so I guess we're ok here

The GoPro is running with its internal battery and is also plugged to an external one at the same time to be able to record for 5h+ straight without stopping to swap batteries.

The issue seems to happen whether or not I plug the external battery.

Any idea where this could come from? I hope to get this fixed before my next road trip!

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Black Frame Drops

[ New ]

That's a shame, what should be a great video ends up looking terrible.

The most likely reason this is happening is that your camera is overheating and this is slowing things down.  The most likely reason for overheating is a corrupt SD card.  

Here's how to best try to solve the issue.

1:  Backup everything on your SD card.

2:  Put the SD card into your PC or Mac and perform a "Full format" on the SD card.  This should take about 15 to 30 mins.  If it finishes in about 2 minutes then you have performed a "Quick Format" and haven't fixed the issue.  Only a "full format" will fix SD card corruption.

3:  After you have formatted the card in your PC or Mac, then put the card into your camera and format the card in the camera (this sets the card up to use the proper format and optimal block size for the camera.

See if that helps.  You can also try changing the SD card for a Samsung Evo card as they have proven to be much more reliable with constant read/write speeds.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

Bump 🙃

Backpacker

[ New ]

That's a shame, what should be a great video ends up looking terrible.

The most likely reason this is happening is that your camera is overheating and this is slowing things down.  The most likely reason for overheating is a corrupt SD card.  

Here's how to best try to solve the issue.

1:  Backup everything on your SD card.

2:  Put the SD card into your PC or Mac and perform a "Full format" on the SD card.  This should take about 15 to 30 mins.  If it finishes in about 2 minutes then you have performed a "Quick Format" and haven't fixed the issue.  Only a "full format" will fix SD card corruption.

3:  After you have formatted the card in your PC or Mac, then put the card into your camera and format the card in the camera (this sets the card up to use the proper format and optimal block size for the camera.

See if that helps.  You can also try changing the SD card for a Samsung Evo card as they have proven to be much more reliable with constant read/write speeds.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Irishman!

Thanks for answering, I'll try that then!

Will this do the trick? 

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.13.53 PM.png

Thanks a lot again :).

Backpacker

[ New ]

I believe that it will as this should overwrite every sector of your card and not just mark them with an "X" telling the system to ignore the area (which is all a quick format does).  Those X's are like speed bumps on a road if you will.  Your GoPro is trying to write data as quickly as possible and just like your bike, if you try riding at full speed and come up to a lot of speed bumps, bad things can happen.  

If in doubt, you can download an official SD card formatter tool here and just use the full format option:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Irishman!

Ran some tests following the formatting of my SD card, with the internal battery, with the external one, and with both, it seems that it's resolved!

Thanks a lot for your help :).

Backpacker

[ New ]

Glad that it helped, the problem may pop up again if you have any overheats or camera crashes, but now you know the process for repairing the card and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Good luck!