10-05-2018 12:32 AM
The GoPro Hero 7 Black crashes when plugged into external power sources while a battery is inserted:
- Sometimes it freezes up with greyed out screen.
- Sometimes it just stops the current recording and resets to main screen.
- Multiple approved memory cards tested and same results (crashes).
It appears in testing that this mainly occurs when a battery is installed at the same time as the external power source and that battery is less than about 100% charge:
- 100% reproducible crashes when you press record with a battery less than 100% inserted at same time.
- May still occur with a battery inserted even at 100% charge at times.
- Never crashes when battery is removed from Gopro.
Same reports have been made about GoPro 6 so this is not a GP7 specific error.
10-05-2018 03:18 PM
Note also it does not happen with all external power sources. For example, using a wall charger it does not crash. But using some external battery packs it does.
Also note this does not mean the external battery pack is not supplying enough power as:
- With no battery inserted it never crashes on that same power source and is fine.
- With a less than 100% battery inserted but not recording it dos not crash and charges the gopro battery just fine.
- Only when you press record does it crash instantly (seems like at the moment it swaps from charging the battery to using external power).
Perhaps all it needs is some logic for a delay in this case. If on external power and charging battery while idle and you press record then the the swap to external power should happen first and - pause delay - then start recording. Just guessing but somethign in that swap over casues the crash.
11-29-2018 02:58 PM
I have identical problem. I even get this behavior with a quality 5v 2a charger like an Amazon Echo charger. PLEASE FIX THIS - I take long videos and I can't even swap batteries without removing camera from mount and disturbing the orientation!! Seems especially worse with third party USB cable.
12-24-2018 07:42 PM - edited 12-24-2018 07:43 PM
Just wanted to say I am also seeing this issue, 100% reproducable. This is not an issue with my H5 or h5session. I am using the gopro charging cable.
12-24-2018 09:13 PM
I think I figured out the cause. I was using the USB charging cable that came with a hero 5.....the new cord that comes with a hero 7 is thicker and it works to charge and record with this cable.
03-21-2019 01:28 PM
I'm having the same issue using a Feiyu G6. The gimbal will charge the camera, but it is causing it to crash. I ended up losing the one ride that did work because it had to reformat the card. I'm using the cable that came with the gimbal. It's about 2" long and very lightweight.