Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6 not turning on (overcharge issue)

Hello guys, I bought my go pro just over 2 years ago so out of warranty and GoPro customer support are refusing any help over the phone so helping someone here can assist.

My gopro hero 6 will not switch on (do not get a red light at all). I have followed advice from other discussions and YouTube videos (removing SD card, removing battery, reformatting and card, holding power button 10 secs, holding power button 40 secs, attempting power in connected to pc with no battery inserted) but none of these solution work.

I do not use my GoPro very much so cannot justify buying a new product (I only used my GoPro hero 6 around 7 - 8 times from purchasing new), the camera gets stored in a camera bag with battery removed for long periods of time between uses and has never been submerged in water / used in harsh conditions, it only gets used on my motorbike which I only ride when it's sunny and dry. 

The GoPro rep on the phone call said that the battery has definetly been overcharged (which I do not believe it has) and the camera is dead and that I would need to purchase a new one, I am trying to determine if anyone has any potential solutions that could rectify my issue. I am an electrical engineer and will pull apart the camera if anyone can identify the most likely electronic issue.

can't believe that there is no repair / service centres. I am willing to pay to get this issue resolved but go pro are trying to strongarm me in to buying a new product which I can not justify for the amount I use it (and why would I buy a new product after the awful support I have received so far). The go pro support technician said he had sent through a discount code if I wished to purchase a new product which was also a lie as I received nothing.

can anyone provide any recommendations?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 not turning on (overcharge issue)

Hi @swiftjump46135

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Can we have the case number from the last time you have reached out to the team?

If you haven't yet, please go over the steps on HERO6 Black Will Not Power On

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, I was not emailed (though I was told I would receive follow up email with discount and reference number) so do not have the reference number. My phone details will be under my account, not sure if you can check it from there.

I have tried the steps in your link, that's when I was told it was an overcharging issue and camera is dead.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @swiftjump46135

We can try to locate the case using the email address you have logged/used.

You can send us a direct message when providing the information.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I have exactly the same issue with a Hero 5. Unfortunately the camera belongs to a friend and I borrowed it for one day to capture some pics on the beach. Please let us know if you got any solution.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all, just an update on my issue. Returned from my holiday after 2 weeks (didn’t take camera with me). Tried turning on but no success, took memory card tried turning on but also no success. I then plugged my camera in to charger and it turned on straight away with battery at 0% even though external charger shows battery is full. Anyway it seems to be charging and working now, no clue what caused the issue or why it has randomly started working now.