Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6, freezing with updated firmware and stock sd cards

[ New ]

I've been having problems with two new GoPro Hero 6's where the videos freeze during recording but the audio continues.  I've read the other forum posts and suggestions and am using the current firmware and did a manual update.

The SanDisk Extreme cards that came with the camera are freezing.  They are the 64mb SanDisk Extremes (red and gold).  I also tried some SanDisk Extreme Pro cards (red and black) which also freeze.

While testing at home just recording 20 or so clips randomly telling the hero to start and stop recording worked fine, but whenever I've taken the camera out in the field I've been loosing some of my best clips and its gotten extremely frustrating as I'm getting ready for a major trip I had planned and I can't trust these cameras.

Is there something else I can try with the cameras to ensure they are updated properly or a specific brand of card I can get right away that I can trust?

Adventurer

Re: GoPro Hero 6, freezing with updated firmware and stock sd cards

[ New ]

Did you try to format in a computer your sdxc card and not just a quick format a full format, 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll give that a try. I've formatted all the cards multiple times just through the GoPro Hero 6 'Format SD Card' function.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Understoond     let all know when you do that computer format.... the full one not hte checked one.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here with FW 2.01
Just lost an important recording this way today.

This isn't acceptable...

JD

Tourist

[ New ]

After doing a full format on the PC on 2 of the cards that came with the cameras I shot about 20 random clips on each and no freezing yet.  However this kind of test worked fine last time I tried it before I started having freezing issues in the field.  I've got 4 more cards I've formatted on the PC to test next.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @ianl80552. It would be better to also test with video recordings to be sure. Let us know how it works out after you test with the other cards, too. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

How I am testing is with video recordings.  Just pushing the record button and recording short clips over and over till the battery runs out.  Same as how I use the gopro in the field.  I just have bad luck in the field with the recordings freezing and it works when testing at home using the camera in the same way.