Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6 body picking up gimbal motors with external mic. Why?

I understand if the built in mics are picking up gimbal motor noise (Evo SS) so I put a remote Rode mic, the heavy brick GoPro adapter, and a USB-C extension so it will reach the camera in the gimbal.  It is still picking up motor noise although the mic is several inches from the camera and I can't hear the motor noise with my ears if even they are next to the motors.

Either the onboard mics are picking up the noise still or the noise is being transmitted through the body and the internal mics weren't engineered to avoid such issues.  Any ideas?

As a side note, both the cable on the GoPro adapter and the extension I bought are still and impact the gimbal's movement.  I haven't engineered a way around that yet.

Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 6 body picking up gimbal motors with external mic. Why?

Gimbals should actually be fairly quiet, if you can hear your gimbal you could hae a bad bearing in there that needs to be replaced or fixed.

If you're trying to record audio without background noise, do what the professionals do, use seperate audio.

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 body picking up gimbal motors with external mic. Why?

The Evo SS is the most popular mountain biking gimbal and is known for motor noise.  Seems others do also under rough mountain biking conditions.

I used to use a Zoom 2 but for mountain biking I need as little equipment as possible and I want to spend far less time in post.  I was hoping to avoid that setup but I think I just wasted $100 with a remote for the GoPro.  Love Rode though so it will find a use.  Maybe on a Hero 8 Black although the video quality I've seen online when riding over rocks isn't as good as the Evo SS / GoPro Hero 6 Black combo.