Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 6 battery dies when used with Karma Grip

Here's my scenario. I'd love input from you gurus out there.
I plugged my hero 6 into karma. Both are fully charged. I took it out of the karma case , and filmed 10 minutes with it - cutting both on using karma grip power on switch. When I was done I cut the system off using the karma grip power off switch. Same switch obviously. I get back home 4 hours later and the camera bettery is dead but the karma matters isn't. I notice when I shut it off that the single grip button shut both grip and camera off. But when I got home to view the footage the camera was warm and had 4% low battery warning. What gives?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 battery dies when used with Karma Grip

Hi @wdaehn

Please contact our Support Team to further isolate the issue. You may reach them by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

Sorry for the poor grammar. I'm writing from a phone and don't see an edit button. My apologies.
Explorer

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You had your Hero6 mounted to your Karma Grip. Both the camera and Grip were fully charged prior to use. You filmed for ten minutes and turned off the Karma Grip, which by design turns off both the Grip and camera. When you turned off the Grip, you verified that both camera and Grip had in fact turned off. When you got home, the Grip still had power but the camera battery was reduced to 4%.

So, here are my questions.
1. What SD card are you using make/model/size?
2. Are you on the latest firmware?
3. Do you get rapid battery drain when the camera is out of the Grip?
4. Do you have the Karma Grip case, and if so, was the Grip in the case?
5. Have you run a test again to see if you get the rapid discharge?
6. What are your camera settings?
a. Resolution
b. fps
c. Voice activation yes/no
d. Stabilization yes/no
e. GPS yes/no
7. Was the camera/Grip ever in a cold or warm environment during this time (such as inside of an unattended car on a hot/cold day)?

Backpacker

...plus

f. Wifi on/off

?

Explorer

I did some filming with my Hero6 in the Karma Grip yesterday. I checked today and my camera battery was dead. Grip had 50% power.

Lexar 1000x 32GB
Latest firmware
I don't get battery drain outside of Grip
Camera and Grip inside Karma Grip case
Cameras last setting was 4K/60
Charging now to test again
Voice activation is on
Stabilization (off by default fps, but otherwise on)
GPS is on
Camera and Grip never in extreme temperature
Explorer

Connection on
Hiker

I just posted about this exact issue a few days ago. I think it has to do with the Wireless Connection. It constantly wakes up the GoPro even after turning it off. Ever since turning off Wireless, the drain seems to have gone away!

Explorer

I don't get battery drain normally when the camera is not in the Grip. I always have connections, GPS, voice activation on so I'm not sure any of those are causing the issue.

I charged the camera and Karma Grip before leaving for work tonight. I reset the camera to factory defaults, formatted the SD card, turned off connections, GPS, and Voice activation. Protune is also off (default). I'll report back my results.