Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 battery dies when used with Karma Grip

11 hours after inserting 100% charged Hero6 into Karma Grip with above settings. Just checked and both are still 100%.

I'll check again in the morning and then start turning on settings one by one.

Of course it would be nice to get a reply from the OP with possibly some answers to questions and perhaps some test results that he/she has gotten....
Tourist

danielr15 Thanks for helping! Here are the answers below:

1. What SD card are you using make/model/size? SanDisck Extreme 64GB microSDXC
2. Are you on the latest firmware? YES!
3. Do you get rapid battery drain when the camera is out of the Grip? Nope.
4. Do you have the Karma Grip case, and if so, was the Grip in the case? Yes I have the case and both where in the case.
5. Have you run a test again to see if you get the rapid discharge? I've used the camera out of the Karma Grip and never had a discharge.
6. What are your camera settings?
a. Resolution = 1440 
b. fps = 60
c. Voice activation yes/no - It's OFF
d. Stabilization yes/no - Yes it's ON
e. GPS yes/no - Yes, it's On.
7. Was the camera/Grip ever in a cold or warm environment during this time (such as inside of an unattended car on a hot/cold day)? Nope.

Going to try it again later today to see what happnes. : )
Mark

Backpacker

@robert1326 wrote:

...plus

f. Wifi on/off

?

Mark, do not forget point 6.f.

seems that this is the culprit .....

Tourist

WiFi was definitely off. : )

Explorer

So, last night I turned the connection setting on. I then connected the camera to my phone through the GoPro app. I took a short video and turned the camera off using the app to do both.

I then put the camera into the Karma Grip. I turned on both through the Grip power button. I mounted my Grip so I could take some night photos. I connected to the app, changed to night photo mode, and turned on Protune.

I took my photos and turned the camera and Grip off with the Grip power button. I closed the GoPro app on my phone and put the Grip+camera into the Karma Grip case.

Nine hours later.... Camera at 100%
Grip still showing four lights so 76-100%
Explorer

So it's been nearly 24 hours since I turned connections on and I just checked and the battery on the camera is still at 100%. The Grip is also full power.
Explorer

And by nearly 24 I should have said well past as it's actually 30 hours since I turned on and used the camera connection and Wi-Fi.
Tourist

I concur there is something fishy going on.

I have two identical cameras, down to the very settings. The one put into the Karma Grip empties its battery down to the level where even the realtime clock has to be reset.

Thanks to the successful test made here I also turned off everything, Connectivity, Voice Commands,... and now four days later it is at 96% still. My guess would be the Connectivity drains the battery when in the Karma Grip but not when the Camera is standalone.

Should be recognized as bug and fixed, in my opinion.