Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 battery dies when used with Karma Grip

is really frustrating GoPro ignore this issue

Highlighted
Sightseer

I agree. I’m just getting into GoPro and I was fairly excited for it. Bought session 5 then hero 6 and the grip. Just to find out there dumb bugs like this. It’s disappointing
Highlighted
Tourist

Same here. Was given a Hero 6 and bought the Karma grip. GoPro support is horrible. Won't ever purchase another GoPro product.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Yep. I'm having the same issue as well. Got up to the mountain and realized that both the Hero 6 and Karma grip were completly dead.... Not happy.

Highlighted
Explorer

@meanpanda
I don't think the issue in this post is camera AND Grip losing power, just the camera while plugged into the Grip.

If both the Grip and camera had no power you might be having a different issue than what has been happening for others here. It could have been there cold effecting the batteries, or you just might not have had the Grip charged up like you thought.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I got a Hero 6 and grip last week and almost immediately started having this problem. I fully charged both the grip and the camera, then left the camera in the grip for the day, and when I got home and checked, the camera's battery had drained to 0%. Not cool.

However: when I took the gimbal off the handle for the first time and noticed that it was a USB connection between the two, it got me thinking. The camera doesn't drain if plugged into a USB hub to charge and left alone for many hours, but it does drain if left in the grip.

Therefore the problem is likely something in the 'brain' of the grip that's draining power from the camera. Hence, what would happen if I left the camera in the housing but removed the gimbal from the handle? The good news is that after 24 hours like that, the camera's still at 100%. This is a workaround that I'm reasonably content with, because separating the handle and gimbal makes storage in my backpack easier. It's not ideal to be regularly disconnecting/reconnecting the USB connection, but at least it's one, not two (as opposed to removing the camera from the housing).

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks community! After getting back from holidays where things seem to work with a few work arounds.  Like you said snowy, I separated the gimbal from grip for backpack space and found it worked better. I also locked the screen on hero 6. I also decided to dedicate my old hero 4 to the grip gimbal combo and leave the hero 6 for the other stuff. I found the 4 picks up sound better anyway. 

As an aside I did have to pull the battery from hero 6 a few times after charging it all night, then going to use it it wouldn’t power up. If I pulled the battery and put it back in in, it would fire up to full power and work great. 

Highlighted
Tourist

This is getting annoying.

When I remove the camera from the grip, the camera does not drain. Yesterday put it into the grip and after 24hours in the hotel room it was at 0% battery.

Hence it cannot be the camera or camera settings or weather conditions.

Removing the camera from the grip all the time is adding wear and uncomfortable. And not being able to use it unless fresh from the charger as well.

Can you all please report this to support so somebody starts looking into this?