Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 battery dies when used with Karma Grip

I have a GoPro Hero 6 on my desk, the battery is in for weeks and still fully charged. Then, I put the GoPro on the Grip and the next morning it has been fully drained. In what way can this issue be battery related ? FYI, the new battery didn't change anything (of course), and the GoPro staff are aware of this ongoing issue that started when the Grip was originally released. Tons of people over the web have been complaining about this... the only solution that worked for many is to never let the camera on the Grip (which is really annoying when backpacking). This issue could possibly be fixed through a firmware update as they told me, but I am still waiting. In my opinion, offering a battery replacement is just a cheap tactic to calm down the angry buyer. Aside from this issue, the camera is absolutely amazing. I mean, 4k 60fps in H.265 at this price ? Incredible.

Highlighted
Tourist

I THINK I GOT IT...
For the first few days, my Hero 6 camera battery drained overnight when installed in the Grip. I then deactivated wifi on the camera and now the camera keeps it charge when left in the Grip for days.  

I also discovered that, on a couple of times, the camera did not respond properly with the Grip controls, I fixed it simply by removing the camera from the Grip and reinstalling it. I think its just the contacts (maybe becasue they are new) don't make perfect connection every time. It's easy to resolve if you know its a simple mechanical contact issue and not a software problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the feeling it is not easy to reproduce. More of: Sometimes the camera or the Grip hangs.

Examples:

• Why does the same camera, in same conditions (in my room), does not discharge when on its own, but in the Grip it does (sometimes).
  • While Wifi and Voice might have an impact, both are turned off for this camera.
  • When you turn off the Grip and the Camera while built-in, occasionally the camera charging LEDs continue to be turned on red. You have to turn on and off the camera again to change that.

Couple of cautions though:

• Discovering that the Camera is on 0% up in the hill does not count as argument. That happens to the Camera alone as well due to the battery being sensitve to low temperatures. 
  • A contact issue as suggested above is still a software problem, in my world. With a problematic mechanical contact you should see things like not charging, no control via the Grip. But to shut off a camera, it does not need good contacts. If the software is handling all error conditions properly instead of hanging in some code loops.

Personally, after the Nov firmware upgrade of the camera, I did not see the issue any longer but also have used the Grip just once.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Same problem Here. Can't belived after all this time GoPro haven't done anything about it

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm having the exact same problem. When I leave my Hero 6 in the Karma grip, the camera battery drains completely. I guess I can pull the camera out of the grip when I'm not using it but it doesn't seem like I should have to. It will pre-maturely wear the USB connectors and the camera USB "door".

Highlighted
Hiker

Sorry if I did this wrong it’s my first post. My two cents. Just got the GoPro 6 and a second karma grip. Much like the rest of you noticed my battery was always dead when I went to use it unless I left it plugged in and charging. I tried it with my other karma grip and same thing happened. The funny  thing is it doesn’t happen with my hero 4 silver. Never had an issue with it. Hero 4 works with both grips and no battery drain. I’ve turned wifi and GPS off as well. I guess I’ll use my hero 4 in the karma grip until this is resolved. I figure if enough of us comment on it it may get resolved. And yes I have current firmware updates etc

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have some input that MAY help. When you plug in the grip to charge while the GoPro is plugged in, it will power on the GoPro while it’s charging. It is my theory that when you unplug the grip it will power down the grip but not the GoPro itself. Tap the screen to see if it’s still on, if so power down directly from the camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

Unfortunately not the case for me.

Yes, it gets turned on automatically (for whatever reason) but I turn it off immediately.