Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 6 Video freezes after several recordings ( Firmware v1.6)

I have purchased my Hero 6 last year Oct, problems after problems.

Recently I resolved the saving bug,battery drain and heat issue by changing the sdcard from Samsung to Sandisk Extreme Pro,

however, it comes with a new problem. The video started to record, but the image freezes, only audio is recorded.

Is GoPro going to fix this or not? So far I have reseted and manually updated the firmware, this issue is repeatable.

Should I get my unit return or replaced? Cheers

GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Video freezes after several recordings ( Firmware v1.6)

@crossvadar - This can be caused either by an issue with the firmware or the SD card. The SD card you're using sounds like a good one, but I would still recommend getting anything you already have on it saved somewhere else and then reformatting the card.

I'd also recommend doing a manual update on the camera's firmware. Even if you have already done the update, doing the manual update is a good way to assure that the installation completed 100%. Instructions are at https://gopro.com/update/hero6.

Jeff

Hiker

I have followed the instruction and the issue is still there, it will freeze the video and continue to record audio. I have to presses few more times to get it off and recording normally.
GoPro Community Manager

What was the other SD card you tried? Did that card have the same result?

Hiker

I was using the Samsung EVO Plus U3 MicroSD 64GB (2017 Model), It is the worst thing I can get in a $499 device (The price just dropped and I am more disappointed that I cannot return in here.).
With that said,the Hero 6 just freezes randomly after recording with the "SAVING" bug, overheating, less than an hour of battery life and unable to change settings once in a while.
GoPro Community Manager

The EVO cards are not on our list of recommended cards, so that is likely going to be the issue. A non-compatible card can struggle to keep up with the amount of data and the speed the data comes in, which can result in the exact issues you're seeing. If you can get access to a card listed at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations, please try that card and see if the issues continue. 

Hiker

[ Edited ]

I am using the card recommended on the list, which I post this issue here.

I am using the Sandisk Exterme Pro 64gb MicroSD, which is on the list. 

It’s definitely not speed problem but the firmware is not happy with cards other than Sandisks. 

Sightseer

Same issue with mine.  Was recording at 4k at 30 frames.  First 4 videos are fine then they all start to freeze after a few seconds.  Audio is fine, but video is frozen.  I just setup a return for my with Amazon.   Going back to the gopro 5 that worked fine.