Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Video freezes after several recordings ( Firmware v1.6)

@mikec27623, I haven't found a way to recover the video.  Please let  me know if you do.  DO NOT try "Stellar Phoenix VIdeo Repair"!!  I paid $70 for that software and found it to be a complete scam and waste of money.  Anyone recommending it is suspect in my book.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, I blew $70 on that garbage too. It looked like it might fix the problem if I upgraded, but it didn't.

My replacement goPro has not run into any issues. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Is there ANY fix for this? Just lost an entire 15 mins of epic recording where I just get the first frame and all audio.  Worst part is that I'll never be able to shoot this again.  Is there any way the video can be recovered? Such a badly developed product to be having these reliability issues. It seems that GoPro has given up on this altogether which speaks volumes...

Highlighted
Tourist

1. I deal with footage from dozens of different cameras on the market all the time. The Hero 6 is without doubt the best there is, by a very, very long way. That's if it doesn't produce an hour long thumbnail with sound instead, which is a big "if".
2. GoPro replaced my original camera 
3. The new one hasn't had a problem
4. I STILL can't get an answer if the effected videos can be fixed. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @hughman666

Sorry to hear about what happened. If a camera is freezing up, it is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. If you have not done so yet, try manually updating your HERO6 Black camera. You can follow instructions under manual update through this link. Make sure that you are using a recommended SD card on your camera. You can then capture sample videos to test if the freezing issue is fixed. Our Support team will be able to assist you further should the issue persist. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

We do not have any preferred methods of data recovery or repair as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. You may be able to perform an online search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost/damaged. Better yet, you can reach out to the SD card manufacturers for troubleshooting on the SD card. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @mikec27623

Thank you for reaching out to Support . Great to know that your camera is working good. In answer to item 4, the affected videos could be repaired. There maybe professional video repair tools, or available tools online but getting in touch with the SD card manufacturer is highly the preferred as method of data recovery or repair varies from SD card manufacturers.

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

I really want to know the answer here as well about recovering lost footage. My primary concern is to recover the video that is truly once in a lifetime and spontaneous.

Highlighted
Tourist

This problem still exists with FW 2.0.1

We need a real fix now.