05-05-2018 02:39 PM
05-05-2018 02:57 PM
For me, it was happening with a couple of different recommended cards too. After calling customer support, GoPro replaced the camera very quickly. I'm still looking to see if there's a way to salvage the videos that are currently "lost"
05-14-2018 02:48 PM
05-14-2018 04:14 PM
05-14-2018 08:13 PM
05-15-2018 09:48 AM
Doing alot more research on this its actually difficult to pin down where the issue lies. So, 4k 30 FPS will play back on my go pro in preview but not on the PC's ive tried. Below are the minimum specs to decode HVEC, one test to do is try videos in 1080 P and if they play fine with no issues but 1440, 2k and 4k present the problem the issue probably lies with your PC. A good way to test this is have someone who you know that has a high end gaming PC try to play back the video in VLC media player. Skip the windows media player and go pro quick and try there. I opened a ticket for my GP hero 6 as the 4k was freezing even being on the newest firmware with the recommended SD card. Ill keep testing and post my results back, although i have a very strong feeling that 90% of your machines out there cant handle 4k video but again thats just a guess and you may have a beast of a machine but it indeed is your GoPro so again this is kind of difficult to pin point.
Here’s a quick rundown of well-known hardware that includes dedicated HEVC decoding blocks, which definitely support efficient HEVC playback:
- Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
- AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
- AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
- Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
- Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer. Support ranges from 720p decoding on low-end parts to 4K playback on high-end parts.
- Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
- Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
- Apple A8 SoCs or newer
- Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards
06-03-2018 09:08 AM
I am having the exact same issue. Approved SD card, reformated regularly, updated software. Same sporadic freezing video recordings. This is clearly a product defect. This will be the last time GoPro does this to me.