Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Video freezes after several recordings ( Firmware v1.6)

Identical issue here. When shooting at 4K, 30 for, video freezes and audio continues. Happens when using both of my SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC cards. Are these supported cards?
Tourist

For me, it was happening with a couple of different recommended cards too. After calling customer support, GoPro replaced the camera very quickly. I'm still looking to see if there's a way to salvage the videos that are currently "lost" 

Tourist

Well, that was incredibly painful. After troubleshooting the problem every way that I could, I finally called customer support and was promptly connected to an offshore CSR with an unfortunate but not altogether unexpected langauge barrier. She walked through her script and insisted on performing all of the same troubleshooting steps that I had already performed. She finally agreed to replace the camera. Total part of my life spent on the phone that I will never get back: 1h7m. Not fun.
Tourist

I finally gave up on all troubleshooting and called they will replace it if they find a  problem...really?

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm pretty surprised. This is my first go pro and I don't see alot of responses from their customer support here. 4k video freezes and so do other resolutions at various settings. I have the SanDisk pro directly from go pro. I've reformatted, updated the camera firmware, factory reset, tried different SD cards and PCs and still the issue persists so it's with the camera. Time to call for a replacement. I wonder how many more they have to replace before they make an announcement. This will lost likely be my first and only go pro. Not impressed at all for the price
Tourist

It's particularly frustrating because the entire hour plus that I was on the phone with their CSR, I just felt like an involuntary beta tester: at this point, they are likely aware that a certain number of their cameras are experiencing this issue, but they are using us to diagnose the problem, rather than stating, "yes, we've seen and confirmed reports of this through other users and we don't have a solution yet, so we'll simply replace the camera and perform our own diagnostics on it." Instead, they wasted more than an hour of my time stumbling along with a CSR in some remote location.
Tourist

Doing alot more research on this its actually difficult to pin down where the issue lies. So, 4k 30 FPS will play back on my go pro in preview but not on the PC's ive tried. Below are the minimum specs to decode HVEC, one test to do is try videos in 1080 P and if they play fine with no issues but 1440, 2k and 4k present the problem the issue probably lies with your PC. A good way to test this is have someone who you know that has a high end gaming PC try to play back the video in VLC media player. Skip the windows media player and go pro quick and try there. I opened a ticket for my GP hero 6 as the 4k was freezing even being on the newest firmware with the recommended SD card. Ill keep testing and post my results back, although i have a very strong feeling that 90% of your machines out there cant handle 4k video but again thats just a guess and you may have a beast of a machine but it indeed is your GoPro so again this is kind of difficult to pin point. 

Here’s a quick rundown of well-known hardware that includes dedicated HEVC decoding blocks, which definitely support efficient HEVC playback:

• Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
  • AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
  • AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
  • Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
  • Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer. Support ranges from 720p decoding on low-end parts to 4K playback on high-end parts.
  • Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
  • Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
  • Apple A8 SoCs or newer
  • Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards
Sightseer

I am having the exact same issue.  Approved SD card, reformated regularly, updated software.  Same sporadic freezing video recordings.  This is clearly a product defect.  This will be the last time GoPro does this to me.