Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 6 HDMI attached with immediate camera shutoff

I'm kind of at a loss right now. I have tried pretty much any and all congifurations when it comes to getting the GoPro Hero 6 to properly display a live video through the HDMI Micro port. I have tried this the two ways recommended on the GoPro site. I plugged in the HDMI cable with the GoPro turned OFF then turned it on to connect, tried it with the camera turned on and attached the HDMI cable, and I even attempted power cycling with the cable attached and removed. All the results are the same where the camera appears to send a single still image of the first thing it sees and then immediately shuts off.

I have also tried doing this with the battery removed and only the power supply attached. I have tried removing the SD card and streaming the live feed that way. I have tried hooking the camera up to multiple monitors, capture cards, and TVs and the results are all the same. Once the HDMI cable has been attached and the camera is powered on, it immediately shutsoff and becomes non-interactive. How do I get this camera to properly send a live feed to a monitor?

I also have camera auto-off settings set to zero, I have changed all camera settings from 4K down to the the lowest possible option. I have changed shutter speeeds, ISO ranges, etc... Nothing appears to work.

Some assistance with this would be nice on getting this camera to properly send the live information without it shutting off. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 HDMI attached with immediate camera shutoff

camera should be only used. no wifi  just hte camera and it fails to  operate wit hteh  mode and shutter as the   controls then contact support and get a replacement the camera is then at fault.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @quirkyphoto.  It is normal for the camera to go black (on the rear display screen) once connected to an external display, while either a preview of what the camera is seeing or of the media stored in it is already displayed on the external display like an HDTV. It is then odd that the camera turn off. Is it a micro HDMI cable that you are using? Try using a different cable, if available. Also try changing the port at which the camera is connected.

In the event that the camera does not shut down when connected, there are steps-to-fix here  that will help with getting a signal or a display yon the TV. Let us know how it goes. Feel free to post back for any other concerns or questions. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

the Cable I use cost 7.00   al lI do is plug in and everything works.  possible like said you got a cabl e that is not compativle.     also the camera should not shut down it will stay on and hte back screen disables  I have  the Hero 5, 6 and 7 as well the hero 4 and no issues wit hany  hooking up t oa hdtv if asked. check the cable.  

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I probably should have made the statement, it gives the appearance of shutting off and becomes unresponsive.

I understand it is normal for the camera to go black according to other posts. You should also be able to control the camera still from the application or through the power/mode button. However, when conencted to the app, it loses its signal immediately when plugged in and the power/mode button does not do anything once selected.I have tried 3 different HDMI micro cables. All of which work on other devices just fine.

What it is doing is showing the first preview of what the camera sees when connected and then just continually shows that image as a still image after it establishs the connection. At that point, the camera itself becomes unresponsive. Nothing works after that preview screen is displayed on the TV/monitor/capture card what have you. I have attempted to select the mode button numerous times in different ways to see if it would somehow filter through the various options on the tvs but it just remains unresponsive until I either power cycle it, remove the battery, or force a shutdown.

I've tried every step in the link you provided and the GoPro continues to do the same behavior. 

Highlighted
Tourist

As stated above, the cable is not the issue. It works with many other devices just fine. I have also tried 3 other cables and the camera behaves the same way.

Highlighted
Adventurer

camera should be only used. no wifi  just hte camera and it fails to  operate wit hteh  mode and shutter as the   controls then contact support and get a replacement the camera is then at fault.