Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

I just received a GoPro Hero 6 and did some indoor tests...unacceptable grain...a thick layer!

I also compared it with my GoPro Hero 3+ ...it's a huge difference. The GoPro Hero 3+ has almost no grain in the same indoor setting, a lot more detail, colors looks better (white balance).

What the heck is going on???

GoPro Hero 3+ Screenshot:  click

GoPro Hero 6 Screenshot: click

Other customers have the same issue:

"I am having huge problems with grainy and artifact laden mid and low light video situations.  It really upsets me.  I think I might return the second 6 I got today and stick with my 5."

"I just bought hero 6 and it is horrible in indoors." / "The white balance indoor is horrible." / "2.7k footage is also so grainy indoors it is unbelievable."

"I returned one today because of how pixelated and messy it looked compared to my Hero 5 indoors? "

"Look at the road & car, very grainy considering its not that dark. "

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-6-Black-First-Impressions/td-p/64662/page/3

Here's a customer who also posted about it on REDDIT:

"I need some help, my hero 6 is super grainy compared to my hero 5 and I think I might return it I am kinda unhappy about this. I have tried all the iso settings, changing shutter speed, different settings from linear to wide and everything I come up with looks really grainy. Any one have this issue?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/7440lm/my_hero_6_is_so_super_grainy/

Accepted Solutions
edg
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

@amoergosum

Thank you for the comparison images and issue description! We are actively working toward resolving this issue, and look forward to releasing a camera update in the November timeframe to address these concerns.

View solution in original post

All Replies
edg
GoPro

@amoergosum

Thank you for the comparison images and issue description! We are actively working toward resolving this issue, and look forward to releasing a camera update in the November timeframe to address these concerns.

Hiker

"Thank you for the comparison images and issue description! We are actively working toward resolving this issue, and look forward to releasing a camera update in the November timeframe to address these concerns."

>>>

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm gonna return my GoPro Hero 6 tomorrow. If you're able to resolve the issue with the November update, I might order it again.

By the way...there was another issue: The GoPro Hero 6 froze like 3 or 4 times during my tests when I changed settings.

I had to remove the battery each time in order to be able to use the touchscreen again. This is also not acceptable. I've never

had that issue with my GoPro Hero 3+.

I was also very surprised that GoPro Studio doesn't accept the new 240fps files. How am I supposed to convert the files to 24fps (for slow motion) ?

Tourist

Mine is also freezing constantly and I unwrapped it today. Just by going from one menu to another or with just switching camera modes.

Just a side note, holding in the mode button over 3 sec and then release will reset the camera.
Tourist

I have the same issue as described by the OP.

Why release this product when it's not ready?

Does this happen for every Hero 6? If so - was it not tested before release?

If not, should I exchange this defective unit one for another unit?

Tourist

[ Edited ]

PS: I have issues with 4K 30 fps video and 4K 60 fps video.

This issue (4K 30 fps) doesn't happen with Hero 5 either - this rules out bad SD card.

Tourist

I was going to exchange mine today, thinking I got a dud.... but since its a 'known issue' and lots of people are having the problem, I guess I'll just be returning it.  The video quality indoors on all of my other gopros (from 2 through 4) is immensley better, and even a cheap $100 polaroid is shooting better quality video indoors than my $680 hero 6 black.  Even outdoor video is all tinted blue, and shadows have blue grain in them.  (below are examples of my hero4 vs 6 with the same indoor lighting conditions, and the outdoor blue tint of everything)

image comparisons

Hiker

"Even outdoor video is all tinted blue, and shadows have blue grain in them"

>>>

...reminds me of this comparison:

Source: click