Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Here's a new review (GoPro HERO 6 vs HERO 5, Yi 4K+, Sony FDR X3000 and iPhone 8).

To sum it up:  the GoPro Hero 5 is better overall than the GoPro Hero 6.

More issues:

Look at this oversaturated mess:

Extreme lens flares:

...worse audio than the GoPro Hero 5 etc...

Highlighted
Sightseer

I agree - compared to the Hero 5 the Hero 6 is a big disappointment in relation to low light noise and the "GoPro" over-saturation, however the stabilization is a big improvement.

Highlighted
Explorer

Try dropping the fps to 24 and the ISO 100 or as high as 400.  I was doing some low light comparison last night with 1080 resolution.  As soon as I dropped the ISO to 100 and fps to 24 it got much cleaner.  If you are filming at night you don't need high fps.  It's best to just set it yourself rather than relying on the camera's low light setting to drop it for you. 

Also, Color Flat and setting the wb kelvin manually will give you better results.  Finally, don't forget to set the light balance with the manual spot metering.  You do this by pressing on the back of the LCD screen until a large white box shrinks into a smaller box.  You can move the box to the best location for the spot meter.  If it's a dark environment but you will be focusing on a bright light (like a shot seen in the post where the user looks the camera up from a darker area up to bright ceiling lights) you need to have the camera spot metering.  If not, the camera has to take into account the entire frame.  With a wide fov camera lens, this will give too many variants in lighting and ultimately some part of the picture will have artifact. This is less of an issue with narrow fov camera lenses so knowing how to use you wide fov camera is very important.

Does the Hero6 need improvement? Yes.  I was looking at zoomed screen grabs of low light shots.  It seems that the grain people are seeing is not the same noise/grain that it typically seen in other cameras.  It's not just light noise that is being picked up, but the Hero6 appears to mask over these spots with a blue hue.  This is beneficial when filming outside for keeping a consistently blue sky but it works against the camera in these low light settings.  If you look at most cameras, and especially previous GoPro cameras, you get white areas in the sky anytime the camera is facing near the sun and also closer to the horizon.  The Hero6 seems to combat this by filling those areas with blue.  I personally like what the Hero6 does but this is also what makes some people feel it's unnatural.  When I look at the sky it's all blue, but most cameras can't represent this correctly.  So, when looking at most video, we have become accustom to seeing these white or blown out areas of the sky.

Highlighted
Explorer

Also, here are some good articles on setting your white balance correctly when filming.
https://fstoppers.com/post-production/learn-shoot-proper-white-balance-using-kelvin-temps-3328

http://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/color-by-kelvin-a-better-approach-to-white-balance/

https://www.slrlounge.com/tutorial-understanding-white-balance-color-temperatures-in-8-simple-steps/

If you are getting a lot of the low light grain,try adjusting the wb manually. Use the lowest frame rate, ISO, and even shutter speed (the camera actually does the shutter pretty good on auto as long as you spot meter).

Hopefully we will see an update soon, but there are work arounds that do help. I'll continue to test different settings and hoepfully others will as well. The more we share with one another the better the experience for everyone.

Please don't respond with negativity. I get it, you don't like the low light performance you are getting. It's been covered. No need to keep bringing it up. Moving forward, lets share ideas and tips on how to make it better.

I personally think that the Hero6 Black is an amazing camera and I've listed all of my reasons several times on different post. There are so many features of this camera and I feel it is a huge improvement over previous models (and I own them all). What I am most interested in, and hopefully you are as well, is how to get the most from this camera. That's what this community is all about. Sharing tips and ideas to enhance the experience for everyone.

If you just want to complain or leave negative feedback, there is a place for it
https://gopro.com/feedback

If you have an issue that you want resolved with your particular camera go here https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

If you want to help others or find ideas on how to make your experience better, you're at the right place.
Highlighted
Adventurer

As I keep watching I have to agree in ways  it's not a DSLR it's an Action camera Simply turn and go. no one wants to fool with settings;

but as I see I like hte  2nd pic as it is more near the flower then over satuated   I love to head out during the day not night and grab someshots but again I am watching

Highlighted
Explorer

The iPhony comparison video posted above is complete BS. First of all, I did a side by side with no video editing done. The detail is MUCH better on the Hero6 and so is the reduction in lens flare. iPhony is a known GoPro hater and manipulates his videos to put GoPro in a negative light. I also have the Karma drone. Strangely, it doesn't behave even remotely close to what it does in iPhony's video when he compares it to Mavic.

Here is my side by side with zero editing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDunU-QBOyI&index=2&list=PLiOtvNgo_TaX0zkLkEQmizjdsOKm64-Fs

The video looks much better on my computer as I deliberately reduced the bitrate when uploading to youtube hoping to avoid the degrading done when YouTube encodes at a lower bitrate. I freeze the video several times in different light and you can clearly see that the Hero6 is clearer than the Hero5 and Hero4. Strange that iPhony's video shows less detail in the Hero6.....hmmmmm.
Highlighted
Explorer

I did some testing of low light again tonight and I think I have a pretty easy solution to improve the grain/noise. First, if there is any blue in the picture, you are going to get a lot of noise. However, if you change the wb to a warmer setting like 2800K or 3200K it will improve the picture almost immediately. As I mentioned above, you MUST set the frame rate to the lowest setting when filming in low light, so use 24fps. Setting it manually works better than using the auto low light.

Put your Color on FLAT. The vibrancy that GoPro color adds increases the noise.

ISO: Start at 100 (probably way too dark) and slowly work your way up. Stop at ISO 800. Anything above 800 looks terrible.

WB: As I mentioned earlier, you can set this yourself but it will need to be 2800K - 6500K. Avoid 2800 unless there is no blue (no blue shirts, walls, pictures, ceilings, lights etc). For the best results, use Native.

I'm extremely busy with work so I wont be able to put a video together until Tuesday at earliest but I will so I can demonstrate the differences ASAP.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15

"Try dropping the fps to 24 and the ISO 100 or as high as 400.  I was doing some low light comparison last night with 1080 resolution.  As soon as I dropped the ISO to 100 and fps to 24 it got much cleaner. "

>>>

I actually tested several ISO settings in Protune. It didn't fix anything...blotchy grain was still visible and the image was totally underexposed (obviously)...ISO100 max: