Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Wow, nice comparison. Want a 6 now.

Highlighted
Nomad

Seriously man! And then you put up an image without any detail at all "to make a point". That's so sad,
Highlighted
Explorer

Me?

The only point I'm making is that I'm happy with the results I'm getting.  Again, I don't spend a lot of time filming sticks and then zooming 200% looking for loss of detail.  

Here is a screenshot from a recent filming I did at the beach. Low light, facing the setting sun, 4K/60.  I'm sure you can do plenty of zooming and nit picking to point out the flaws, but for me, I think it looks great. Screen grab .jpg acquired with Quik desktop app. PNG screen shots acquired with Adobe look much better but file size restrictions prevent me from uploading here.

GH011983.jpg

Highlighted
Nomad

Seriously, this is a LONG thread about the grain issue and then you proclaim that you don't care and get "great results". You can get great results even with a Hero4 or a YI.

For anyone contemplating an expensive upgrade comparing the Hero6 to the previous Hero4 and Hero5 itterations should be of great interest. The same could be said of the varying performance of the various firmware itterations of the Hero6 which seems to change the behaviour to the better or worse with every release. Still there are significant bugs and concerns to be found.

Highlighted
Explorer

Seriously long thread started when the camera first came out. Since the last update the comments have died down considerably.

And then you proclaim....? When was I complaining to begin with? Before the latest update I acknowledge nose/grain but also showed ways to reduce it in camera settings.

When I purchased my Hero6 I knew I was buying an action camera.

I knew it has an f/2.8 aperture wide angle lens with a 1/2.3 inch sensor. I knew that there was only so much that it could do in low light.

I knew that it has EIS and not OIS.

I knew that it required a fast write speed SD card.

I knew that, not unlike all modern processor equipment, it would get and require updates as bugs were identified.

I knew GoPro would, as they always do, address the issues and provide updates throughout the year.

I knew I had a limited time to test out the camera and if I didn't like it, I could return it for refund.of

And knew, like always, we would get plenty of "experts" coming to the forum to proclaim what GoPro should have done, need to do, what they've done wrong, and how such and such camera is better. Oh, and then you're supposed to write something like, "FIX IT GOPRO" in all caps.

What I know now is that I really like this camera and I'm happy I purchased it. Perhaps you are not. That's fine, but don't waste your time trying to convince me I'm wrong for my opinion.
Highlighted
Explorer

Here is a comparison I did between Hero4, Hero5, and Hero Hero6.

I hope it's of great value to you.

Highlighted
Explorer

And Seriously, you need to stop saying, "Seriously". That's so sad. 😉
Highlighted
Hiker

come on guys...find your Christmas cheer....if you were both here I would pour you a couple of rum and eggnogs. Got one in my hand right now! daneler15, great work on that video, very helpful. Good control on that zoom, too. 

So lately I have been got out into the woods, lots of sun and shadows. I knocked back the ISO to 400 and 800, left the colour on Gopro. Results are much better. But...am editing a little heavier to balance the exposure. Am working from my laptop though, big mac in the shop for a tune up. Cannot test in 4k yet. Did lots of tests with the focus control. Very helpful on more stationary clips, less so when shooting on move. Some probems between shore and land on seashore but I can live with it. Blues are much better, but have to be a lot more careful where I am pointing my camera in relation to the sun. 

So, also went to a outdoor Christmas light show (under protest) in a huge garden. Went in with ZERO expectations. Expected blurs, bad colour and grain...Shot with the 6 and also my GH5. Shot in 4k at 400 ISO. Freezing temperatures. No operational problems at all. And the shots are very good!  - on the laptop, anyway. Probably post on YouTube before Christmas if I ease up on the partying.  

ps - a little off topic Chriatmas cold weather tip, have had a few problems in sub zero, maybe many don't shoot in that, so made my own Gropro pack and padding for camera and karma. Then I bought a small battery powered sock and but it in the bag - keeping it toasty, no more problems. Attached a pic. Those hot hands work pretty well, too. Sorry GoPro, but your bag options are not rugged enough for what your gear is used for, in my view. 

IMG_5290.JPG