Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

I've had the same issues as well. I ran through tests by taking a screengrab from footage taken from a Hero 6 Black and a Hero 4 Black. They both have the same settings: 4k 30FPS Protune ON auto white balance, 3200 iso limit and flat color. It's the same settings I shoot everything with when I go diving at night.

Comparison shots here between the Hero 6 Black vs the Hero 4 Black in a dark room.

One more comparison in very low light settings here. You can see the blue noise taking over the image on the 6, and it's also much darker than the 4 without preserving detail (i.e. crushing blacks so post can't bring them out when I tried photoshopping the image).

GoPro should extend the 30-day return policy to 60-days for early buyers since that will be within the timeframe of when the firmware will be updated. That way we can see for ourselves if the issue is fixed without sending GoPros back and forth through the mail. I'm rooting for them to fix this issue, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Man Sad

Highlighted
Tourist

I exchanged my camera, and have not upgraded the firmware, and its significatly increased the quality of low light video.  Its still got more blue in it than the hero 4 black, but I have almost no grainy blue overlay on everything. https://imgur.com/a/QNv1g heres a link to the imgur gallery where I've added the stock firmware screen grab.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

That is really weird. Then it makes me think that the blue noise issue is a QC issue then with the sensor calibration? I know phone cameras will calibrate each individual unit for small defects in the sensor and lens. Could that be what's happening with the GoPro Hero 6 Black....?

Is the glow in the background off the white wall under the desk actually blue in person? Thanks for answering my questions in advance, trying to get to the bottom of this! My unit wasn't updated in firmware from out-of-the-box and it has the blue noise. I heard of the issues early on so I decided to test it as is.

Highlighted
Tourist

The blue light on the wall was almost unnoticeable with the naked eye, but after seeing it in the clip I took, I saw that a phone charger with blue light was shining that direction. Still better than the 1.51 firmware with the noise though. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I purchased the Hero 6 for my wife yesterday.

We purchased this micro SD from amazon, sold by amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME64GA-AM/dp/B06XX29S9Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

2.7K / 60FPS / Linear mode

Stabilization on, auto low light on, and most of the other settings are standard out of the box.

She took the kids to the mall during the day and took a few videos. When we uploaded them to our computer we were immensely disappointed. It is our first gopro and our first impressions so far are not good. Some of the videos were frozen during recording. The gopro would freeze up during filming, at times it wouldn't respond at all. we would have to pull the battery to get it back on. Maybe just a glitch, no problem right? Wrong

The video quality was so bad and grainy I thought the device was defective. I see all of these great videos on youtube about Gopro and I'm expecting similar quality. I had an iphone 3GS that probably shot better video than this. Then i went onto the forums and realize that everyone else is having the same issue. From what the moderator has said a "fix" is not scheduled until November. There's no way i'm going to be waiting around for 30+ days for a firmware update while this $500 piece of equipment sits on the shelf and collects dust.

I may try an alternative, RX0 from Sony.

Look at the level of noise and the blue ceiling lights!! Unedited, straight from the micro SD to the computer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwuBp_xrisAseFZ0SExNbW1hcFE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwuBp_xrisAsTy1NcGdNU3NDZEE

Highlighted
Explorer

First, Samsung Evo is not a good card for the Hero6. While it does list fast read and write speeds, it's basically a Pro Select that couldn't pass QC so they rename it the EVO and sell it cheaper. I suspect it was the cause of your freezing issue. I've been using a Samsung Pro Select 64GB in my Hero6 and haven't had any freezing or other issues. The Samsung Pro cards are very good and worth the few extra dollars IMO. The EVO, not so much.

As far as testing the GoPro in the mall, not exactly the idea place to film with an action camera, however I can understand your disappointment with the current low light performance. As always, GoPro cameras perform best outdoors with good lighting. I fully expect this to be fixed with the update but if you're not willing to wait, that's certainly acceptable.

iPhone 3GS...aww, nostalgia. We certainly did think it was a great camera at the time. That 3MP video sure seemed good at the time.

It wasn't.

The RX0 is a new camera and it's getting some attention. It does have a larger sensor so you should expect better low light performance. Strangely the ISO only goes as low as 125 instead of 100, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Of course with the RX0 you need an external recorder to capture 4K and the internal on camera recording is only capable of 60fps in 1080, but the picture quality should be excellent. I would hope so, considering you are paying about $200 more than the Hero6.

Unfortunately that extra $200 more doesn't give you image stability, you are paying more for slightly worse battery life, need an external recorder for 4K, and only get 60fps at 1080. Otherwise, it seems like a very fine camera.

I guess it really just comes down to what you are using the camera for. If it's just getting shots of the family walking around the mall, neither camera is probably the best solution for that need, but the SonyRX0 just might be perfect for you.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15

You wrote:

"As always, GoPro cameras perform best outdoors with good lighting. I fully expect this to be fixed with the update but if you're not willing to wait, that's certainly acceptable."

As a customer I expect the Hero 6 to have better low-light performance than the Hero 3+ . As I've shown in the screenshots,

the Hero 3+ has better low-light performance.

It's ridiculous when you read the press release:

"HERO6 also has dramatically improved dynamic range and low-light performance to really make things pop, and an added digital zoom just to get crazy."

As a customer I'm not going to hope for an update which fixes the issue.

I returned my GoPro Hero 6 yesterday...very disappointed.

Highlighted
Hiker

i Recommend you may turnning the ISO Range between 100-1600 Only,

Over the ISO 1600 is not good. I think that's the problem of your case.