Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Is it possible to revert back to the previous firmware? If so, I'll do an image quality comparison with some test footage. I have two identical clips with the last and current firmware but can't post from them due to NDA, but the loss in detail in this firmware update is shocking. I would definitely stay on the previous firmware, bugs and all, if sharpness and image quality were the number one priority. Saying this update fixes the grain is like saying an extremely heavy handed denoise filter fixes grain.....yes, technically it makes the grain a lot less noticeable, but it completely destroys high frequency detail as well to the point where it looks like it's from a different camera.

If this is how sensor noise is being dealt with, I really feel like they need to make this controllable with a switch (a denoise switch). At 60fps, the grain tends to disappear a bit in motion ....this "softness" is persistant and makes a 2160p clip look like it's 1080p upscaled. Fwiw, the bitrates on the two clips are the same, so it's not that clips are being recorded at lower quality. It's almost like a tech who was trying to solve the low light noise issue got a little carried away with their denoise fuction and turned it up to a point where it looks good on a really low light clip, but unfortunately decimates high res detail under normal lighting.

Highlighted
Backpacker

hi,

I saved the 1.51 UPDATE on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11D_V5OzQcfX7SnM0zpMYLWxJB1TqVueV

either download the zip....unzip...etc...

or the three files in an UPDATE folder on your microSD card.

robert

Highlighted
Hiker

This update was so nice. It was strange that my Gopro 4 had way better quality on low light/night conditions. 
Actually i had to use my gopro5 for indoors taking. After update it looks way better.

Highlighted
Tourist

1.6 fixed the blue funny light during low light condition but it isn't as sharp as before on 1.51, i hav no issues with split screen or freezing, i only got the funny blue crazy color on 1.51, now the videos are blurry andcolors are way flat even using go pro color, i tried uploading the vids for comparison, because i think you will notice too, i used the same setting, but unfortunately, the site is having errors so i cant upload 2 vids of less than 100mb each

Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

my workaround will be using 1.51 then switching to 1.6 on very low light condition ^_^, i hve not much issues with 1.51 anyway, and wait for the next update that will fix blurryness and saturation imho, the the videos used the same setting  4k 30fps ,iso1600, go por color, sharp is high, auto shutr n wb, both rendered 1080p high bitrate i think you will notice too \(0____o)/ oh the error say i cant use mp4, haha i didnt know  waaaaaaa

Highlighted
Tourist

this is the video i did both in 4k 30fps, go pro color, high sharpness, iso1600, auto shutter and wb , 0 ev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosMTjPzW6k&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosMTjPzW6k

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Tourist

So if I understand right it only remains problem with blur/sharpness?