Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Are you not having any issues of grain/pixelation while shooting 4k hevc at 60fps on a GPHero6? Your video is in 1080p. Not sure what's your suggested solution here?

Highlighted
Tourist

Are you not having any issues of grain/pixelation while shooting 4k hevc at 60fps on a GPHero6? Not sure what's your suggested solution here? To stop filming "the sun", "a tunnel" or stop using Gopro at all? Come on genius!

Highlighted
Hiker

well, if you are talking to me, I am no genius but thanks for the undeserved kind word. And I am not critizing you - just trying to answer your post. 

1) I shoot in 4k and 2.7k. I create my videos in same, but render down for Youtube as they can barely handle 1440. That is why you are seeing 1080p/60 fps. But the 4k looks great on my TV compared to the 1080p. 

2) I am saying that you shouldn't  aim your camera at the sun unless at sunrise or sundown. Not only can it damage your lens but the exposure is so intense that it defeats your camera's abilities to process the shot. 

3)  My point about the tunnel is that your shots were good, so were many of the other clips. But sunlight and shadows can overwhelm the Hero6. That is the reality of the situation.They do on my Hero5 as well. So, I suggest you keep your 6. They say an upgrade is coming soon - I hope so. I am keeping mine no matter what but I switch back to my 5 on the trails because I pan a lot and my adjustments to esposure do not seem to be working well.  I am not happy about this at all. I can't be bothered to mess with the settings every 2 minutes, just like Berghaus says. So, I will tough it out and see what the GoPro says. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Oh boy I am crossing all my fingers both on arms and legs for this update to work well Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Tourist

Good point. been testing out different setting and some are slighty better now on the renders. But the grain is still there... I hope with a firmware update it can get fixed :)

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

No bro, my genius comment wasnt for you, but for this guy Daniel15 that coments like crazy and doesnt help! I agree with you and Berghaus. After some serious rendering tests, I came out with something slighly better, but the Grain is still present. I had to render at max bitrate of 240 (VBR, 2Pass). Altho it gives me a huge file size, it's worth the render. I hope GP comes out with a solution in the next firmware update for this, specially in 4k 60fps so we can use better rendering settings! Fingers crossed, cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nijqyhJtdxQ

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

I agree @amauru. This genius guy know it all who answers questions like youre a dumdum. Haha. Hes like a guy in the office whom you dont wanna be friends with. I have replaced my hero 6, six times. I am definitely absolutely sure that quality control is a mess for gopro right now. Still waiting for the update. And its a make or break for gopro. If they fail to come up with solutions to this said firmware, it is going back to the store. Action cameras are supposed to be “ACTION” cameras. It is not DSLR that you need to play with the settings.
Highlighted
Explorer

If you press and hold on the rear LCD you can selective light balance/spot meter. You will get much better shots when shooting at the sun if you use it. You can also set the max ISO to a lower value <800 to assist in reducing grain. When the sun is lower in the horizon and you know you will be shooting directly at it but don't want to, or can't, adjust the light balance with changing conditions, dropping the ev to -0.5 to -2 can help your shots come out better with less blow outs.

Action cam doesn't mean not needing to adjust settings. In most cases you can get away without any adjustments, but if you want the best results, sometimes it will be necessary. Filming into the sun or in tunnels are a couple of examples for when adjustments are necessary.