Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

[ Edited ]

Fair enough, I have no idea what they'll need to do to fix it, but I hope the update is soon. Shooting outside the Hero 6 has some really good image quality (slightly oversaturated and sometimes the reds seem slightly orange). I think people need to relax and give them "some" time and let them fix it, but on the other hand they released it. The Hero 5 is up to 2.51, so they certainly had revisions on that.

Best low light settings so far are shoot in 24fps, changing the shutter to 1/24, sharpness low, color flat, and dropping the max ISO to 800 in ProTune. I don't use the auto low light settings

Highlighted
Hiker

Looking forward to it!
Highlighted
Hiker

Mine takes longer than 3 secs before it resets - I do this when it freezes too.
Highlighted
Explorer

When I got home my son was sleeping with the closet door slightly open with a small amount of light shining on him. It's a ceiling light with a 60W bulb. My son was wearing a bright blue shirt. It seemed a perfect opportunity to try a few low light test.
I filmed with 1080/24 ISO Max 800
From there I tried different settings.

Shutter Auto
Color GoPro
WB Auto
This looked really bad. Blue noise everywhere and major artifact from my son's shirt

Shutter Auto
Color Flat
WB Auto
Blue noise was reduced, but present. Significant improvement but still not great. Artifact on shirt about the same

Shutter Auto
Color Flat
WB 2800
Big improvement. Blue noise gone from picture. Small amount of artifact on shirt remained.

Shutter Auto
Color Flat
WB Native

Picture took on a brownish/red hue but picture much cleaner. Overall a little darker than when I set the WB to 2800, but otherwise the best picture. Easily color corrected.

I also tested with Protune defaults at 1080/24 and also 1080/60 with low light. Both of these modes looked the worse but it's also because Protune default has an ISO max of 1600 so I wasn't expecting it to look good.

I'll post the comparison of the different settings when I get home from work.
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6 has great stabilization for sure. I am really liking the feature.

However, I am not really liking the weird unpredictable white balance indoors. It might be due to over saturating software? Because I think Hero 6 looks great outdoors with saturated blue sky.

I also experienced freezing and I had to take battery out like 5 times so far. It seems like it freezes when I hold on to on/off button for too long when I try to turn it off blindingly.

I lost like 11 out of 21 Gopro footage in the beginning using SD card used by other device. Since I formatted in GoPro, It has not happened since. 

I am not sure why I cannot see the SD card in finder (mac) when I connect through USB cable. It is only viewable in Photos and FCPX. I would really like be able to see the files.

I guess it is pretty decent outdoor camera. Lacking indoor capability really limits the camera's usability though like vloging.

Highlighted
Explorer

The camera connects with a MTP protocol which is different than if you use a SD card adaptor.

For indoor WB you might get better results if you set the WB Kelvin yourself or just use Native. The more you use the camera the easier it will be to quickly decide on the best setting.

I haven't had mine freeze yet so I'm guessing it might be SD card related or like you said, holding buttons down too long.

I'll be uploading my short list light video in about 2.5 hours. It's not great production by any means but I think it illustrates the difference between manually setting WB vs Auto pretty good.
Highlighted
Tourist

Yes I am having the same issues! AHHHHHH pulling my hair out just trying to use a simple camera.  Should be point and click but it is not.  Grainy photage from shooting indoors, tried all the settings.  Gopro freezes up when I stop recording, then I have to pull the camera battery out to reset it.  When restarting it then says repairing file, luckily it does repair each file for now.  Along with the battery life lasts just a short time and it only charges up to just over 50% and the camera sometimes stays on while charging or turns on automatically.

Please help Gopro send me a replacement camera and don't tell me that it needs a software update. It is not called a software update when it was just released, it is called a defect in the camera and gopro needs to fix it.

Highlighted
Tourist

I tried a lot of setting on the Hero6 regarding video.

IMO it seems to be a problem with the codec.

Have a look at this example 1080/200 . Huge amount of pixelation and artefacts.