Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Like I said, " if you're not willing to wait, that's certainly acceptable".

My Hero3+ Black remained my favorite camera up until the Hero6. It's not that I didn't think I got more out of my Hero4 Silver or Hero5 Black as they both offer much more in the way of features, but as far as video recording, they really couldn't beat the Hero3+ significantly enough for me to think of them as a big upgrade in that respect.

The Hero6 is MUCH better than the Hero3+. Perhaps not in low light currently as I agree, there is too much noise and the color grading is off. In normal lighting; however, the Hero6 outperforms all of the other GoPro cameras (including the Hero3+ Black) IMO.

I made a couple videos doing side by side comparisons. In the first one, I freeze the frame several times during the video. Each time you can clearly see how much more focused and clear the picture is from the Hero6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDunU-QBOyI

In the second video I used a swipe technique to move from the Hero6 to the Hero3+Black, Session (H4), Hero4 Silver, Hero5 Session, and Hero5 Black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSC9TDiVWuQ

Granted, these are not great production. I had just dropped my kid off at school and stopped by the nearby park to do some quick filming so I could compare the differences.

I understand that some people don't like the vibrant look of the Hero6 but this is easily corrected by switching off the GoPro Color profile. I'm going to do another video showing the difference between the Color and Flat profiles. Flat looks great on its own, but also offers much more data to work with when editing vs the other GoPro cameras.

Finally, Stabilization is fantastic on the Hero6. Somehow GoPro not only improved the stabilization significantly over the Hero5, they did so with half the cropping to the picture. You can hardly notice the 5% crop.

For me, the improved recording capability, stability, doubling of frame rate, and all of the other features like, waterproof without the case, GPS, voice activation, improved sensitivity of the touch LCD, faster Wi-Fi transfer, and improved audio (although you do need to increase the db when editing) make the Hero6 a big improvement over the Hero5 and a HUGE improvement over the Hero3+.

However, this is just my opinion. Your, @amoergosum , opinion is obviously different. That's fine. What I don't get though, is since you returned the camera, why are you still so animated? The use of bold really makes it appear that you are mad about this as if GoPro somehow wronged you. Did you not get your money back?

@amoergosum , you owned and used the Hero6. It obviously didn't live up to your expectations or needs. OK. I can't tell you you're wrong for your own opinion. If you only purchased the Hero6 for low light performance, it makes sense that you are unhappy that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Again, I fully expect this to be fixed with the update but if you're not willing to wait, that's certainly acceptable.
Highlighted
Hiker

"...you owned and used the Hero6. It obviously didn't live up to your expectations or needs. OK. I can't tell you you're wrong for your own opinion. If you only purchased the Hero6 for low light performance, it makes sense that you are unhappy that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Again, I fully expect this to be fixed with the update but if you're not willing to wait, that's certainly acceptable."

>>>

It's not my "opinion" that the GoPro Hero 6 which I tested, had worse low-light performance than my GoPro Hero 3+.

It's a fact.

I didn't purchase the GoPro Hero 6 only for low-light performance. But I don't accept to purchase a new product where a feature

which was advertised as "dramatically improved dynamic range and low-light performanceis not actually included.

Let's see if they fix all the issues...I might reconsider then.

Highlighted
Hiker

"i Recommend you may turnning the ISO Range between 100-1600 Only,

Over the ISO 1600 is not good. I think that's the problem of your case."

@minenoyuki

>>>

I tested that...it didn't fix the issue.

Highlighted
Explorer

Anytime the ISO goes above 400 you are going to get grain. In the case of the Hero6, it seems that even with the ISO limited to 400 or lower, it still overcompensates to make the picture brighter and grain appears. I did find that by setting the shutter manually to its slowest setting improved the picture considerably.

These are two short clips I did while filming my son at night. It was very dark, so much so that I couldn't see very well without a flashlight. Although you really can't see my son, you can see the increased blue grain.
https://gopro.com/v/mwdOn79nQD1O

However, when I set the shutter to 1/30 (I was filming at 30fps) the noise is reduced considerably.
https://gopro.com/v/mwdO2d1l5RN3
Highlighted
Tourist

With the testing Ive done, unnacceptable levels of noise are present, when indoors, with all settings (Ive only tried 25 various combinations, but your suggestion is one of them)  but they are only present with the heavily pushed and app nagged 1.51 update.

Using the stock firmware (1.0?) I have almost no noise present on indoor lighting shots, and the quality is almost the same as my hero4 black and hero4 silver.

Given the various other issues that the 1.51 firmware seems to be having (like screen mirroring, and image glitching with IS turned on) Im not sure why GoPro hasnt pulled the 1.51 update that its trying to force on people.  New firmware is supposed to make things better, not introduce a pile of bugs that make the camera seem like garbage.

Highlighted
Explorer

Hopefully they can get a smaller update out before the planned November update. There are probably Karma functionality/compatibility functions within the update so it's probably not as simple as just pulling the update.

It's good to know that without the update the image noise is virtually gone. It means it can be fixed and I have no doubt it will be.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15 i was only shooting in 2.7K and using the Samsung which is rated at 100 read/60 write. this should have been more than acceptable for 2.7K. either way, you may be right. i'm not an expert in this field but the packaging and my research says that it should be sufficient even for 4K....i was only shooting in 2.7K

I understand the gopro is meant for outdoors, action camera, but in the end it's a video recorder that advertises exceptional low light improvements over the previous 5 models. this is the 6th edition and low light is horrible. I could understand mediocre, but most of my videos came out terrible. The mall lighting and abundant natural light coming from the ceiling should have been more than enough for the Gopro hero 6, but it wasn't. we also took videos with my iPhone 7 Plus and they came out perfectly. no grain, no issues, smooth. thats a phone with a camera on it. the Gopro hero is a dedicated video recorder. it's sole purpose of existence is to record video and maybe take some pictures. we as consumers spent $500 on a brand new video camera that can not record in low light, medium light, indoor light. 

it's just a very bad experience and i waited months for the release. sadly, i will be returning it back to Best Buy.

My ISO level was default out of the box when i filmed. as you can see whenever i pointed it towards the ceiling, the blue light was distorted and grained out so bad. i was hoping to take this gopro to an indoor water park later this month. :(

there's too many issues with this Gopro. Split Screen, noise level, freezing.

I think it was rushed to market.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Also seeing this issue - there's a crazy amount of noise/grain at any combination of resolution/iso/shutter speed I have tried. A side by side comparison with my Hero3+ with settings as close as possible and the Hero3+ is outperforming my $750 (AUD) Hero6 Black...

Edit: Even clamping the ISO to 100 at midday in broad sunlight and the lowest possible sharpness setting I still see significant grain.