Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Complaints about grain/noise aren't related to night photo/laps where the shutter can be left open for up to 30 seconds.  

When it comes to noise/grain, the complaints are mainly based on previous firmware and not making the correct adjustments to the camera settings, misunderstanding of what low light means, and/or unrealistic expectations for cameras with a 1/2.3-inch sensor.  

The initial firmware updates allowed the Hero6 to use a higher ISO which resulted in a brighter picture in low light.  When a higher ISO is used, the sensor is more sensitive to light and so more noise/grain is introduced into the picture. The GoPro color profile seemed to enhance this effect by bringing out more blues.  Adjusting the color profile to Flat, lowering the ISO, and manually setting the WB generally corrected the noise/grain.  However, with the latest update, a cleaner picture is more obtainable without having to make as many adjustments and often just using Auto works out fine.  You'll want to test all of the possibilities, but if you're coming from Hero3+ Silver you'll be happy with the much improved performance for sure.

Another issue I have with many of these "reviews" and ratings is what they use as a "low light" test.  Low light doesn't mean No Light, night time, or barely lit.  Low light is generally indoor lighting, cloudy days, sunrise, and sunset. Some of the "test" I've seen are just ridiculous. You can film a city street at night and it will still look pretty good, but that's not a low light test.  That is nighttime filming with scattered light sources.  Even worse is when they are in a room and then turn off all the lights except maybe an LED or other small low wattage bulb.  In most cases, it WAS low light before they stated turning off lights.

The issue with defining low light vs no light or darkness brings me to the next point.  The GoPro camera has a 1/2.3-inch sensor.  Cameras with a sensor of this small size will never have excellent low light capability. You can redesign the interior of a sports car to have more room, but it will never be able to hold as many people as a van or a bus.  Similarly, the sensor on the camera is limited to how much information it can receive by it's size.  If GoPro were to have increase the sensor size, then a more dramatic low light performance boost could have been expected.  However, this isn't the case so the expectations that people complain about are silly.

Now, as far as night sky time lapse, the Hero6 does a very good job.  The Hero4, Hero5, and Hero6 can all capture great night sky photos with the correct settings.  I suggest you read through this post to learn more 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/How-to-take-Star-Trail-Photographs-with-the-Hero-4/m-p/7269#/...

Also, be sure to read all of Abe Kislevitz' post on GoPro cameras to get the most out of yours.

http://www.abekislevitz.com/?catid=11

http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero6-black/

Highlighted
Adventurer

Here is a good chapter of  info to  read on:

Image Noise

Some background noise is always present in any electronic device that transmits or receives a signal. In digital cameras, that signal is the light captured by the sensor’s photodiodes. Image noise can be produced by the randomness of the photons of light (known as ‘shot noise’), disturbances caused when converting the analog data to digital format (‘read noise’) and ‘fixed pattern noise’ that results from the combined effects of heat and amplification.

Shot noise will predominate when insufficient light reaches the sensor due to an exposure that is too brief for the lighting conditions. Read noise is less common in modern cameras and occurs when the exposure is adequate but there are flaws in the analog/digital conversion process. Fixed pattern noise is most common in long exposures and is amplified by environmental heat.

The more light the photosites can collect, the less susceptible a sensor will be to noise because more light is collected relative to the random electronic discharge, which remains virtually constant for a given temperature. High ISO settings amplify both the light signal and the electronic noise, thereby producing higher noise levels than low ISO settings.

A build-up of this background noise during long exposures produces ‘salt-and-pepper’ speckling where some pixels are not recorded, while others are only recorded in one wavelength (colour). The problem is exacerbated by heat, which explains why the best long exposures are usually captured on cold nights.

so a lot can be said.  we can capture the best day time shot but still be in a Low light situation.     

FISH

Highlighted
Sightseer

This is gopro hero 6 is my first gopro, and im severely disapointed and wish i would of saved a ton buying a chinese knockoff if these grainy/blurry images are the best I can get out of it. The photos are atrocious, my old droid turbo cell phone takes MUCH MUCH crisper and detailed photos. People keep saying its the image sensor size being only 1/2.3 but im sure my cell phone doesn't have a larger sensor, and it takes much better photos. I am seriously considering selling this gopro and getting something else. the grain and lack of detail in the photos is not acceptable, what is the point of a 12+ MP camera if anytime i zoom in to more than 25% i can clearly see blurryness/grain in my image, I've seen better pictures out of first generation digital cameras with 1-2MP sensors.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I attached an image showing the gopro pictures side by side with my droid turbo phone, the quality is atrocious compared to the cell phone. 

cell phone on the left, gopro on the right, for $275 this is unnacceptable, i paid less for my cell phone and it can make phone calls, text, surf the internet, play games, and is extremely durable...

GoPro vs Droid Turbo.png

Highlighted
Adventurer

GOPR0375.JPG

Highlighted
Adventurer

GOPR0375.jpg

Highlighted
Adventurer

GOPR0373.jpg

Highlighted
Sightseer

yea, blow those images out to full size, then show me a section of them, yea the pictures look great when a fraction of their actual size, but when you blow them up to 100% you can see the horrible level of detail, my comparison picture is sized to 100%~ and you can clearly see a MUCH higher level of detail in the cell phone picture, what good is a high megapixel image if when you actually zoom in 1:1 everything is blurry