Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - GRAIN ISSUE !!!

Daniel, how much does it GoPro pay you? You have bunch of users with problems and you always show up with statement that this is absolutely ok. You can fool new GoPro buyers, but you can't drag old ones with bunch of past Go cameras, man. I did sold my 5 for the 6, stupidity par exelence. 6 is not what GoPro states for, period. Stop fooling people round and help them with those isues.

Or maybe watch some users posts/videos comparison between 5 and 6 in grain/video performance.
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Explorer

I own both. The Hero6 Black outperforms the Hero5 in every category. 

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Of course it does.

But can you help those that doesn't? And you stop telling them that their defective camera is okay? 

When I sampled the clip myself, totaly grain in the outdoors, your replay was "play with settings". After explaining that I am moving from 4 and 5. 

People warn you that this is a sports camera and do not have the time to change the setting while driving/sporting/skying/what not, but you still manage to explain that this is absolutely necessary. I put my 5 on a windscreen, drove 300 miles, and threw a video into my computer at home, and that was it. There was no need to look if a cloud appeared in the sky, or I drive through the forest and capture becomes grain and blue.

When a buyer who has given a lot of money for this thing, encounters a problem, the last thing he wants to hear is "Ur stupid",  Admins on this hub are realy trying to help, you are just hunting to mocking them down.

Again, this is sports camera. For a loooot of money. We dont want to "play" with grain, overheating, battery status errors, dual screens and what not and be called inexperienced and too demanding. When such problems arise, help, do not mock.

Highlighted
Explorer

This thread is pretty old and hasn't seen much activity since the last update. I genuinely wanted to know what was giving the member the impression that the grain/noise issue hadn't been resolved.

I'm sorry if your taking some personal affront, but you have started this discussion on the attack of me.

I asked a very simple question. You jumped in for some reason, immediately insinuating that I have some ulterior motive (such as being paid by GoPro). You then further presented this issue as if I don't know what I'm talking about and need to watch YouTube videos to learn about the Hero5 and Hero6 performance.

I responded. I have both. The Hero6 performs better in all categories.

This latest rant however, really has me confused. You start with, "of course it is" which seems counter to your previous post. As far as settings, yes the camera will auto adjust to changing conditions, but within reason. Nobody has ever said that you need to change your settings with every cloud in the sky; however, if you've chosen settings that are not optimum for an overcast say, you shouldn't expect the best result. Good, perhaps, but not, "the best".

When it comes to choosing the best settings I have helped many people with this, and I never think someone is, "stupid" for not knowing them. If someone goes on a rant giving misinformation about how poor the camera or GoPro are, I'll give the counter argument to clarify, sure. But not too mock someone.

When it comes to helping, there is only so much we, as a member to member support community, can do. If someone complains about poor performance, we can offer advice on settings and perhaps shooting. Countless times I've read where someone had an ISO of 3200, was shooting in dark conditions, had a frame rate of 60+, and was complaining about noise or grain. Are you suggesting that this isn't user error?

I don't think the person is, "stupid" for using those settings. They are just uneducated. If they are making comments that blame the camera, yes, I correct them. But, not to mock the person. To help them and anyone else reading the thread.

I don't recall you or your particular case, but if I offended you, I'm sorry. Were there issues with dark settings early on with the Hero6? Yes, the default settings produced a lot of noise/grain. I tried to help by testing different settings and sharing with the group what worked best for me.

When it comes to "Low light" vs darkness there is considerable confusion, which only creates more confusion for people as well. Low light is ambient light that is dim. Sunrise and sunset are low light. Night time or a dark room with maybe one low watt lightbulb is not low light. This is darkness. Can you use the Hero6 Black in these situations? Sure, but you shouldn't expect excellent results. The sensor size alone prohibits excellent shots without an extremely long shutter. Night photo, sure. Night video, you might be able to get some decent video, but nothing completely free of noise/grain. That's just not how cameras work.

So what can I do?

I can attempt to correct when someone misstates a "flaw". I can try to help the member with recommended settings. I can advise against common errors like shooting into the sun or in very poor lighting. And I can ask for clarification when someone writes, "So this hasn't been corrected yet?" because it's very likely they don't realize that most of the negative comments are from before the last update.

If your camera is defective, I can't help beyond recommending that you contact the GoPro Support Team. If you don't understand the settings on your camera and which work best for different activities or environments, I'm more than happy to explain and make recommendations.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Grainy it is  due to  how I shoot.  I do not have the time either when I am simply just trying to hit a  record button and not  tr yto be that commercial where the two hikers come across the photopgher   trying to capture the   Animal and BAM they whip out their  point-n-shoot and done. Priceless moment .   I agree  A Sony Sensor and that small capturing those moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozBa-1BEf0

I am still on Factory firmware and I  never a Pro like others are.  I  try toshare the fun then bigger about  things but that is our nature, to help otherts out.     So yeah  @danielr15 he is a Die hard gopro fan boy.    I  hear so many new purchasers    ask the same exact question  of their own thread. and I hear the same exact answer to the same exact question.  call gopro.com. and after that We never hear from the people again. if their question was answered or not.  So lets move on to bigger and better things, what was it wwe were trolling about. how gopro works    well for each person but not others.

No the grain will never be fixed. but maybe on their newer camera in the future.

Yap yap yap.

FISH

HD1080P @60f Linear EIS On Auto low level light On Audio Auto, all else default. Played off camera drive on a lenova it is unstable Each step is blurred and ...
Highlighted
Sightseer

I just purchased my Hero 6 a few days ago and was really interested in the night sky time lapse. Researching ratings and comments regarding the Hero 6, I found a trend of complaints about picture quality in low light. I haven’t had time to try them for myself yet, but having had the Hero3+ Silver for a bit, I have plenty of grainy video. Hopefully, I’ll find the right settings for me and will be happy with the $400 spent.
Highlighted
Adventurer

We think a problem is there as soon as   we turn on the camera, shoot and see. then after learning bout the product, we then simply realize our mistakes.  things are wrong I agree but things to  need to be learned as well.