Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6 - Camera showing battery as not charged (1%, 0% or 4%) - Can't update firmware

I bought the GoPro 6 about a month ago and charged it to check whether everything was fine, then stored it for later use. Now, when I tried using it, it showed low battery and so I charged it overnight.

The camera keeps on showing low-battery now matter how many hours I plug it. I've tried using OEM cable, other USB-C cables, wall outlet, plugging it to the computer, etc. Nothing seems to work.

However, I tried the same battery in another GoPro and the indicator shows 100%. When plugging yet another battery to the malfunctioning GoPro 6, it reads 0-1%. So the issue is in the new GoPro 6.

After trying updating the firmware in several ways, I can't do it, because it says the battery is too low. Now, for some other reason, charging icon is stuck in the outlet surrounded by a circle and still says the battery is low. What can I do to fix this?

(I tried factory reset, formatting SD card, removing the SD card, removing the battery and plugging the camera to outlet, etc.) Any ideas? Is this camera beyond repair? It's brand new and never even used it!!! :(

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - Camera showing battery as not charged (1%, 0% or 4%) - Can't update firmware

Hi @boldwater7355,

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with that that camera. Lets first make sure that the camera will power on and make sure it is charging properly:

1. Disconnect the camera from any external power source and remove SD card. Remove and reinsert battery.
  2. Press the Mode Button to see if the camera responds (look for LED illumination, beeps, or a response from the camera’s screens).
  3. If there's no response, attempt to reset camera by pressing and holding the Mode Button for 8-10 seconds. After releasing the button, leave the camera alone for ≈5 seconds and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
  4. If still unable to get any sign of life from camera, connect to a 5V 2A wall charger (5V 1A minimum) using the GoPro USB Type-C cable, look for red LED illumination to indicate charging. NOTE: In a pinch, you can use a computer USB port, but we do not recommend using a multi-port USB hub when trying to charge the camera.
    1. If the red illumination LED does not appear, try using a secondary USB Type-C cable. 
  5. If/when red LEDs illuminate, allow camera to remain charging for a few minutes.
  6. Remove the camera from charging source and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
  7. If provided with a response, allow camera to turn back off, insert the SD card and wait ≈5 seconds, then attempt to record a sample video.

If you are able to power on the camera lets make sure you are going through the proper steps for manually updating the camera:

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system

If you are still having some issues after that our Support Team should be able to help: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - Camera showing battery as not charged (1%, 0% or 4%) - Can't update firmware

Thanks for your reply. I've tried everything you proposed to no avail. The outlet icon with the circle around is still there and it still says the charge is low for the firmware update. Any other solutions?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I just got my Hero6 a few days ago and experience the same problem. I have also tried every step but the battery still reads as uncharged. 

Because of that, I cannot transfer any photos to my phone. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

I tried it but still experience the same problem!