Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 6 Black loops on/off with blue LED glowing constantly

[ New ]

Dear Gopro Support

I‘m looking for help with my Gopro Hero 6 Black which i got for christmas this year. The Problem is the following:

As soon as i put in the battery into my Gopro the blue LED over the small display on the back starts glowing constantly and it immediately turns on with the camera working but the screen and buttons not working. It then shuts off again and turns back on but the blie light just keeps on glowing. After the second turn on the GoPro is now normally reacting to your inputs but after about 10-20 seconds it turns off again. This can be countered by going into the settings tab. For some reason the GoPro then takes longer to turn itself off but it will happen eventually and no - I have not turned on Auto-off. The weird thing is that it then just turns itself on again and this cycle continues until either the camera runs out of battery or you remove it manually. The Camera will also turn itself off while filming leading to the footage being corrupted in some cases. I have already tried everything and searched through your forums and google for over 2 hours but none of the solutions work.

Here are the things i have tried already and how they worked out:

1. Factory Reset:

During the numerous factory resets I did the Gopro never shut down which proves to me that it‘s not a broken battery. After the factory rerest the Gopro turns back on and gives you the usual introduction. The blue light is still glowing constantly. In my first factory reset i connected the gopro to the app on my phone and things stayed the same but then i tried out not connecting it. For some weird reason the Gopro then doesn‘t turn itself off. The blue light doesn‘t turn off though. [Please keep in mind that the blue light never turns off no matter what i tried (except for removing the battery of course) - it doesn‘t even turn off when I go to settings and turn off all LEDs.] But as soon as you turn off the gopro it just jumps back into the endless on/off cycle with all its syptomps.

2. Turning off my Phones Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

Didn‘t change anything at all.

3. Turning off the GoPros Wi-Fi

Before the factory reset i could turn off the Wi-Fi and it didn‘t change anything. After the reset i tried turning it off once more but everytime I click the power button for the Wi-Fi it now tells me that i have to search for connections and switches to the „searching connection“ interface. It still baffles me how the profuct of a billion dollar company can have such a frustrating interface. The screen shows me the sign for an on/off switch for the wifi but I actually can‘t turn it off but only search for connections! (?!?). For some reason it also does this when i have already connected it to my phone once.

4. Updating my GoPro

Of course i tried to update my GoPro. I have the newest version of the GoPro App on my phone and have connected it after various factory resets and of course it was connected daily before the first reset. By what i read on your website the GoPro will update automatically if you connect it via app or at least tell you that its version is old. Thus, this approach did not solve my Problem either.

5. Other things tried but did not work include:

- Connecting my phone to the GoPro and switching settings in all kind of different combinations

- Setting „Auto-Off“ and Screensaver to „Never“

- Shutting off the GoPro via voice command

- Shutting off the GoPro via the App

- Letting the Gopro run out of battery completely and then charging it back up to 100%

Conclusion:

I first thought, that maybe the power button of my GoPro was broken but this is highly unlikely because the problem just appeared out of the blue and i didn‘t drop the GoPro at any time (or did something likewise). The blue light is for me the proof that it‘s a software based Problem. 

I really hope you can help me since i‘m currently abroad in Indonesia on a long planned trip and it is ruining my experience when i want to capture something quickly but my GoPro is jamming. I spent a long time searching for solutions and experimenting but nothing worked.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Black loops on/off with blue LED glowing constantly

[ New ]

@snowyshore48541, re-installing the firmware update of the camera is one thing that can be done to reset the camera's firmware. Doing so can also help correct any errors with the current software installation.

Try removing the microSD card. Do you get the same result when powering the camera ON without the SD card?

You may also try to reset the camera's Wi-Fi connections and see if that helps.

1. From the main screen, swipe down.
  2. Tap Connect > Reset Connections, and then tap Reset.
  3. You will now have a new password that is created by the camera.

If you've already performed a factory reset and manually reinstalled the camera's firmware update, this then indicates a potential issue with your camera. Please let our Support team know so they can look into options and assist you further on the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,

Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you got issues during your trips. 

Have all paper work, photo and email ready, and where you want the camera to be shipped. you should not be doing this on the road as this does not happen overnight with  GoPro,

They will want to walk you through steps first, and may get back to you in a few days, or  have a  RMA at hand  before the call or chat is over.

WHat GoPro will request: you Dlownload and Manually re-flash the firmware, that wil lcorrect any issues that you may be experiencing, since you did that, then by all means  do contact a CSA not the forum. 

You formatted a  card not the issue

you reloaded the gopro app, not he issue

you factory reset the camera not the issue

You did not reflash the firmware, did int read that.

Blue led is  the remote control   wireless led are no longer displayed.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for your reply
I did as you said - i downloaded the firmware update, extracted it onto my SD-card and completed the manual update. Sadly, this didn‘t change anything - the blue light is still glowing. Now that i know what the blue light is for this is even more peculiar since i never used a wireless remote. It sounds to me like you‘re implying that there‘s no way for me to repair this on my journey but my hope has not died yet. There‘s 2 more things i‘d like to attempt which i would need your help for:

1. Formatting all of the in-built storage of the GoPro:
The blue light is still a clue for a software based problem, in my opinion and as long as a problem is software based, it should be fixable anywhere in the world, right? Thus, i would like to ask you wether there‘s a way to clear every memory the GoPro has and then put the Operating System back on. I just need something that goes deeper than a factory reset or a manual update.

2. Repair/exchange it at an official GoPro store/reseller:
I‘m currently in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia but my flight to New Delhi, India goes in 3 days. I‘m also going to pass by Mumbai. Maybe you could give me the address of a store in the are so i could let them do the job and eliminate the shipping. It‘s just impossible to send my Camera to you because my journey will probably already be over once it returns.

You‘ve probably encountered this problem before - there‘s tons of travellers with a GoPro. There must be a way to repair it without flying home, right?

GoPro

[ New ]

@snowyshore48541, re-installing the firmware update of the camera is one thing that can be done to reset the camera's firmware. Doing so can also help correct any errors with the current software installation.

Try removing the microSD card. Do you get the same result when powering the camera ON without the SD card?

You may also try to reset the camera's Wi-Fi connections and see if that helps.

1. From the main screen, swipe down.
  2. Tap Connect > Reset Connections, and then tap Reset.
  3. You will now have a new password that is created by the camera.

If you've already performed a factory reset and manually reinstalled the camera's firmware update, this then indicates a potential issue with your camera. Please let our Support team know so they can look into options and assist you further on the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,

Ann