Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Black MAJOR ISSUES

[ Edited ]

First and foremost my intent was to no bash GoPro, it was clearly a rant over the frustrations of buying multiple copies of a $500 camera and having to return it due to poor software implementation and poor QC. I have and still own all GoPro models, from the original Hero to the Hero 5. I picked up the Yi4k to compare apples to oranges, and one is neither, it is a lemon.

That being said, and and being a GoPro fan, I decided to drive to a Best Buy that is not in close proximity to the ones near me, thinking that the three Best Buys I purchased from were close to each other, and may have received a bad batch. A bad batch is highly probable, back in the late 90's when 56k modems were all the rage, there was a batch of US Robotics modems, that were CA bound on a truck, that broke down in the desert, the chip sets on these modems were damaged, due to extreme temperatures but they were still shipped out to retailers and sold to the public. Not saying this is what happened to the GPH6, but I cant rule it out.

So I went to a Best Buy in Downey, and drove home, and have been playing around and checking image quality for the last five hours; I did not update the firmware, it is still on 1.0. All I can say is, I feel that I have found a good copy. Image quality is clean, and sharp, the camera does not lock up and freeze, regardless of Micro SD used. Patriot, SanDisk, Lexar all work fine. So I am  happy with my purchase. Oh I have also sent the Yi4k back to Amazon.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Freeworld  good luck with your Purchase.  

Highlighted
Sightseer

@@grega1

Did you have an issue where the photo or the video has a violet/purple hue around the edges or on objects expecially when the camera is brough to low light from bright conditions? 

It happened to me today and it sucks, never had any issues like that in GoPro 3 

Highlighted
Sightseer

What is the latest firmware for gp6 cam

Highlighted
Explorer

Highlighted
Nomad

@grega1 wrote:

Fishy...the card is a Sandisk Extreme PLUS....I used without issue in my Hero 5 black. I do have an update, I just returned from Best Buy with my 7th...repeat 7th Hero Black 6. All the others had picture taking issues, the camera would lock up after taking only a single frame. It would lock up when changing from VIDEO mode to PHOTO mode using the touch screen and ALSO USING THE CAPTURE APP. Each time I updated the firmware from the app. What I did differently this time, is I updated the firmware manually, and so far so good. The camera does not crash....fingers crossed. I am infuritated that I spent $500 on a camera that had to be taken back six times to find one that works....

7th?  Are you serious?  YIKES !!!  Thanks for posting, I was thinking of getting one to see how it worked out.  I see in here a pile of issues like the GoPro Hero 5 Black release.  I soloved my GoPro Hero problems completely, I went to a YI 4K+ (commonly referred to as a Y4K+) that represents the first Action Camera to shoot 60 fps.  I love the thing and it has yet to fail and I'm using microSD cards that are below the spec and on spec.  The thing is amazing and fits in most all of the GoPro Hero accessories except the waterproof case.

Sorry you had the problem man but sure appreciate your post and OTHERS who are having the same kinds of issues.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I understand your anger...... We just bought our first Hero 6, and did the same thing.... when trying to take pictures- it said sim busy, and would not do anything - not even switch off. now it wont switch on, wont charge ect.... we bought the GoPro specifically for a trip, which we are on, so needed something reliable!!!! Guess they just think there is no competition out there for them, but really there are some other great options. - regretting getting this camera! 

Highlighted
Tourist

Dude I'm going through the same issues as you - I don't think you are being over-the-top or unfair in any way.

These cameras should be ready to rock out of the box, barring maybe one update. To expect buyers of a brand new camera to have to troubleshoot to this level is insane. NO PRODUCT should be freezing this often when it was released only a few months ago. If there is a specific card needed, make it apart of the camera bundle! If certain cards cause issues/dont work - make that information VERY CLEAR upon checkout.

It just seems like this camera was not tested enough for bugs prior to release, and they expect the early adopters to take care of that? Frustrating.

To boot, Go Pro's customer service isn't very helpful either. Seems like they just contracted a call center overseas with a script and no real knowledge of the product/company. I've been rooting for Go Prosince day one, but so far my latest experience has not been great at all.